Suburu 6 CD Changer 2000 Outback

My CD Multi Disk (6) changer on my 2000 Outback, has become jammed. Has anyone out there any suggestions on how to do this repair at home? How do you go about it?

Thanks

Reply to
pj mckay

Never had this problem but I would think the radio will have to be removed from the dash. The CD portion of the unit is at the top of the radio and easily gotten to by removing the top cover. I think only 2 screws have to be removed.

Reply to
johninKY

Before you do anything else, try resetting the unit. Most easily done by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute or so. Reconnect, and see if that doesn't get it working again.

IIRC, the changer section does not separate from the radio section; you need to remove both as a unit. I've never had one of these apart, but typically there is a combination of small screws and snap-togeather panels. Take it apart on a clean work surface, put all hardware in a cup or something. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean lint and dust, Q-tips and alcohol to clean the laser diode lens, and white Lithium grease sparingly to lubricate sliders, gears, etc.

If you don't find something _obviously_ wrong, you are unlikely to fix the unit by further disassembly. Do whatever you need to recover your CDs, and shop ebay for a replacement OEM changer (~$100), or Crutchfield for an aftermarket head unit. Crutchfield is very thorough, and will supply everything you need to make it a simple "bolt-in" swap; probably ~$200 depending on head selection.

Hope this is helpful.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101