SVX remove cats

I have a Jap import 1992 SVX which still has it's factory fit catalytic converters fitted.

Here in NZ there is no emissions testing so I can legally remove the cats.

Any thoughts out there on any potential benefits or problems associated with removing the cats ? What short they be replaced with ? Straight pipe or "hot dog" muffler ?

thanks shane

Reply to
Shane Hobson

Benefits: Potentially higher overall HP/Torque; more "motor-sound" coming through the exhaust; one less thing to have to replace as it gets plugged.

Problems: Potentially will throw a check engine light; possible loss of HP/Torque due to loss of backpressure (maybe not across the board, but may happen at some points)

My opinion is replace with just a straight pipe.

I'd do it if I were you, you can always have them put back on if you really want to.

Reply to
WRXtreme

... or how about leaving them on and being a good citizen of this world!

Reply to
Rob Munach

Yes shane, leave them on, the power increase is not great, the pollution factor is. In the US, where they are mandatory, the tuning aftermarket still makes great power increases, always with the cats on the vehicles.

Ed B.

Reply to
ed

Reply to
immortal_suby

I took mine off my WRX and got BIG increases in power, granted it is a turbo so I still retained a bit of backpressure and I also found my turbo spools much faster w/o them on. I have a friend in AZ who works for the state and has a sniffer at his disposal to check emmisions, so when I was down there he checked mine just for the heck of it. I was cleaner than most vehicles he tests according to him, and I removed not one but three cats from my car. Will take quite a bit to get me to change my opinion of catalytic convertors. Seems to me they get rid of one obnoxious gas and create another.

Reply to
WRXtreme

...except the gases it gets rid of are far more damaging to the environment..

Reply to
Rob Munach