tailgate: unlocking problem

I have an intermittent problem with my '98 Legacy Outback tailgate lock. After I lock the car (using the remote), I find that when I attempt to reopen it the door may not open even though I hear the solenoid move the internal locking mechanism. If I click the remote, locking and unlocking it many times, it will eventually work and I can open it. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Rosell

I'm not sure if this applies, since my car does not have electronic lock. However due to corrosion the locking mechanism has a tendency to stick. In my '97, with the key used to open the tailgate, this manifests itself in a requirement to turn the key back and forth several times to get it to unlock (again, not every time I use it), even though the key appears to turn all the way the first time. The problem is not in the key slot though. Some WD 40 sprayed up under the hand grab from time to time helps.

Reply to
Jim

sudden loss of mpg from 25-26 to 20-21. Anyone have any idea why? 2001 Forester S

Reply to
hjmcmaster

I found on my 95 with power locks that the lift handle doesn't fully return to its starting position because of the dirt and salt that collect under there. So whatever mode the lock mechanism is in is where it will stay. To get the lift gate to unlock and open I have to seat the handle all the way down. Some penetrating oil usually does the trick for about a month.

Reply to
John

Ditto without power locks.

Reply to
Jim

Ditto with my 98 Legacy - I usually push the hand latch as far to the returned position after closing the hatch. Then the next time i power unlock, it usually works. I haven't opened it up but it feels like the latch return spring could be a bit heftier. The weeny spring combined with rust and corrosion is a formula for trouble. Periodic WD40 baths help for a while. I even looked at a 2001 OBW on a dealers lot last month - low miles and it appeared to be a creampuff. Stuck the first time I tried it... went thru my routine, then it worked !

Ja

Reply to
Ja

Ditto with my 98 Legacy - I usually push the hand latch as far to the returned position after closing the hatch. Then the next time i power unlock, it usually works. I haven't opened it up but it feels like the latch return spring could be a bit heftier. The weeny spring combined with rust and corrosion is a formula for trouble. Periodic WD40 baths help for a while. I even looked at a 2001 OBW on a dealers lot last month - low miles and it appeared to be a creampuff. Stuck the first time I tried it... went thru my routine, then it worked !

Ja

Reply to
Ja

FWIW, a friend has a 2000 Legacy that had the same problem when he bought it. He got at the latch from the inside of the door, partly dismantled, cleaned and oiled it. So far, just fine after about 18 months.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer