Torque Bind solved

If anyone is having the torque bind issue with the clutch pack valves in the front end (vlaves not opening to allow the other wheel to slip during hard turns) the solution is cheap and very effective. I had this issue in my

2004 Forester XT from new until about 7 years ago when i stubled on a single post in another group from a guy who had the same problem. The Subaru fix is to replace the springs in the valves ($$$$). The real world fix is to change your transmission fluid and add a can of Seafoam oil treatment. The problem was eliminated instantly and never came back. Its ahigh detergent oild that cleans very well and lets the valves move again. No more grinding like the front wheel is falling off on hard turns on pavement, and no loss of torque when I need it.

My 04 is still going strong and is solid mechanically and electrically. No check lights, no oil loss, lots of power, tows my boat regularly and is an animal in the snow. I want to buy another one but this thing is showing no signs of slowing so it makes the decision tougher. 260k km.

Take care everybody

Reply to
4orester

Wouldn't using Seafoam to clean out the gunk necessitate another tranny fluid flush? Shouldn't the detergent cleaner be added before the tranny flush? Seems a detergent should be added and ran through awhile before the expense of a fluid flush.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if you meant a fluid change or a full flush. If a flush, did they connect at the cooler or the inlet of the pump? The latter is a more complete flush and takes more time, oil, and money. Did they remove the pan and replace the filter to get rid of that gunk?

Reply to
VanguardLH

I did a fluid change only just like Subaru recommends, not a flush. I got the tech to add the Seafoam then top it with the regular fluid. Transmission fluid is high detergent anyway so the shelac would be minimal but enough to cause the binding. Maybe there is more lubrication value in the Seafoam - not sure - but it worked. There was a significant nicrease in the smoothness of shifts as well, but that gradually came back.

All I can really tell you is it worked for me. I shuddered every time I did a hard turn on pavement before - sounded like the front end was falling out or the CV joints were seized.

Reply to
4orester