trans shift selector lock-up

Anyone experienced the shift selector locking up in Park on the auto trans? What causes it?

Reply to
David Henderson

Can lock up if you park on an incline and don't use the handbrake. Friction holds the parking pawl in place so it can't be disengaged.

Reply to
Orienteer

When my '01 OBW was new it would stick in Park. Of course the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem. The work-around seemd to be to slap the shifter back and forth in the gate with my foot on the brake and it would shift OK.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Some bits of info:

- there is a safty mechanizm that keeps you from shifting from Park if your foot is not on the brake

- you can hear it click, it should sound a click when you press the break

- it should shift out of an incline just fine, the parking brake is designed to do that... if it doesnt it's probably worn out and needs servicing

- there is a tiny little door to the upper right, on the plastic panel near the lever, use a screw driver to open the door (gently) and flip the switch. (Its a mechanical over-ride I think)

That should get you going.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Reply to