427 corvette engine vin number

I have a 1968 corvette with a 427 with a 4spd but I think the engine was rebuilt at some point removing the vin number on the front of the engine. I am looking to sell the car but would like to know if there is any other vin stamped into the engine?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
embody1437

Nope, but it should have casting numbers and casting dates cast on the block, 3916321, or 3935439 and the heads, 3917215, 3919840, 3919842 etc..

Reply to
Dad

may as well call it numbers matching, everybody else does. Hey if there ain't no numbers no one can argue.

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

====================== There are numbers on everything ...carbs on 427's were different then on small blocks and varried with the Hp output...The distributers also were different... if every number checks out Block,Heads, Carb, Distributer etc to a 400 HP 427 you can be reasonabily assured that is what you have if everythin g works our to a 435 Hp 427 then that is what you have...no way to tell if it is the OEM engine however.

Bob G. .

Reply to
Bob G.