removing auto tranny from 89 camry

Does anyone know if the auto tranny can be removed from an 1989 v6 camry without pulling the engine? It looks like it can be done from the bottom of the engine bay. I removed it once before but I pulled the engine along with the tranny from the top. I want to avoid having to pull the wiring harness from the insides of the car. Plus, if I can do it w/o removing engine I avoid having to drain coolant, dealing with pumps for steering and a/c. Thank you.

Reply to
Dennis Leong

I haven't looked at one of those cars for a long time and cannot remember if the engine sub-frame gives enough clearance to remove the transmission from underneath but I believe you can. I think you will need one of those engine supports that straddles the engine compartment with the engine suspended underneath.

Reply to
Ray O

It looks like it can be done but have yet to hear real experiences, which is why I posted this question. Only 2 issues I can see, one is separating the trans from engine with enough clearance for the alignment pins (about 1/2 inch). The other is clearance between neutral-safety switch area and some frame component. I have the tools. Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis Leong

If you disconnect the driver's side axle first, is there enough room to separate the transmission from the engine?

Reply to
Ray O

why I posted this question. Only 2 issues I can

alignment pins (about 1/2 inch). The other is

the tools. Thanks.

The most important tool I have is the repair manual.

Reply to
Danny G.

I have the repair manual and the axle shafts will be removed beforehand. The repair manual only describe removal with the engine. It does not say that you cannot remove tranny from underneath. In my many many years working on cars and other machines (professionally and otherwise), I have found that there are usually more than one way to do a job correctly. The best machanics I've worked with always have had more efficient ways to make repairs than what is described in the manuals.. Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis Leong