1993 Buick Skylark

I'll try to describe what is happening as best as I can. Basically, if I'm on a highway and I am not stopping / starting often, there is ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM. You wouldn't even know there is something wrong.

The problem ONLY OCCURS when I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, having to accelerate / decelerate in rapid succession. After about 20 minutes of this, the car will start to miss and stall right in the middle of the road leaving me at around 20 K/PH with no power brakes etc.

Afterwards, when I start it, it will REV UP very high and then normalize, but then as soon as I try to put it in drive, it proceeds to stall instantly. The only way I can get my car back home is to let it sit there for 10 minutes.

During this time, the car heat meter does go up in temperature, but does not exceed its limits, so I don't think it's an overheating problem, but it could be. Engine coolant has been checked and is fine. It has a V6 3300 engine

Any help, information, or anything at all would be graciously appreciated,and you've my thanks in advance!

Reply to
thwalkindude

When I hear your symptoms, the first thing that comes to mind is a dirty air filter on the gas tank vent. This would be a $2.00 filter on a charcoal canister likely. If this is it, cracking open the gas cap will cure it so that is the test. If it runs well with the gas cap cracked loose you have it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I'll try to describe what is happening as best as I can. Basically,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Where is the gas tank vent located?

Reply to
thwalkindude
3 spd trans here ,also could be the TCC solenoid sticking.
Reply to
maxwedge

Sounds like the torque converter solenoid may be sticking. Next time it acts up shift the trans to neutral and see if that keeps it from stalling.

Reply to
Mike

Profile:

View this thread:

How can I fix that?

Reply to
thwalkindude

After you have confirmed the problem the side cover must come of the trans, not the bottom, the solenoid is attached to auxiliary valve body. messy job, somwhat difficult access.

Reply to
maxwedge