1993 Caravan OH console on a '92...?

I bought a '93 OH console with the digital display but the guy I bought the van from cut the harness! I could go to a bone yard and try to find one; other than that is there any way to get a diagram of the wiring so I can try to cob one together?

I already Googled. Hopefully someone has some first-hand info...?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I'm always looking for something for free. Isn't that what the Internet, and especially the groups for? To pick brains?

Other than that, will the $25 cover only ONE vehicle, or the 4 I have on the road currently?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Price drops for multiple vehicles and for multiple years. The best things about the subscription is that you do get the complete factory schematics (not "typical" multi-year, multi-platform schematics found in aftermarket manuals) and the TSB's that are applicable to that vehicle. The procedural repair info. is generally right out of the FSM, but is spotty - if you're lucky the info. you need is there, if unlucky, that particular info. was left out.

Reply to
Bill Putney

In some ways the data is less complete than what is in the FSM, but it is always updated. That's a big deal on a new car where bugs are still being found, it's a total non-issue on a 25-year-old car where all the common problems were found long ago.

But it is a LOT less expensive than the FSM. I don't think it's a real substitute for having the real shop manual but it's a tiny fraction of the cost.

On the other hand, you can sometimes get the shop manuals for older cars inexpensively on Ebay... I think I paid $25 for the electrical volume for my E28 and then $50 for the engine volume.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks for the advice, guys but we're talking an 18 year old vehicle I paid $150 for on eBay with 240,000 miles. If it had only 125,000 like my last one I might invest a little more money in it; while it runs well it's expected life at this point is a big question mark.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Drop me a note and I'll see what I can do to help. remove NOT from the address and mention the group.

Reply to
Steve W.

I agree with everything you said, though I would just emphasize more that the information contained in it is *far* *from* complete (other than the schematics, which are complete).

Reply to
Bill Putney

But do you put any value on your time? If the schematics save you two hours, is that a good trade off for the $25? Funny how people won't spend $30 on an old vehicle, but they will spend 5 hours to avoid spending the $25. If you put *any* value on your time and use the same logic, then does that mean if you have to put more than 3 hours into it, you junk it? Of course now, if you call it a hobby, you can do whatever the heck you want and not have to justify it. :) (obviously you don't have to justify anything to anyone anyway)

Reply to
Bill Putney

This just about nails it!

I buy old cars, put a couple hundred $$$ into them, drive them for 2-4 years and then go looking for the next.

Except my Supra, of course. There is a copy of the shop manual on line, and a computer in my garage.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Check you mail....

Reply to
Steve W.

I wouldn't say pick. I would however say share. Everyone brings something to the table. Your wiring fable says to me you have not seen even one wire, much less counted them. FAIL!

Reply to
wws

Oh I see, put a $100 console in $150 car. FAIL!

Reply to
wws

They may be rather hard to make out, but the wires should be color coded. Leastways they are on all the Chrylser vans I have had. (91, 95,

05.) Local scrap yard, if they have any that old, would likely sell you that end of the wire harness pretty cheap. (Not like anybody is gonna buy the whole harness for a 92) Just match up the colors and use butt connectors.

Note that Chrysler DOES change the wiring harness from year to year, usually to make it cheaper. I wanted to backdate some dashboard stuff on my 05 to what the 01 through 03 had. (ie, add another power socket, to replace the plug where the second switched one used to go. Dealer claimed the pigtails would be hanging in there. Nope. To save a quarter per car, they eliminated that wire. I had to use vampire tap and power it from the main one.) Chrysler was really into 'decontenting' in those years. My doors are also missing some sound deadening and water stops that previous years had(according to the pictures in the manual), and the rear wiper and defrost controls were moved down into the HVAC pod to make assembly cheaper. (Too bad you have to take your eyes off the road to FIND them, unlike the original up-high locations...) Junkyard wanted an arm and a leg for those dash parts, so I said the hell with moving them back.

30 years ago, Ford used to use the same harness on all the vehicles built off a particular platform. Made it real easy to upgrade my junkheaps with toys from junkyard cars. Just bolt it on, and plug it in.
Reply to
aemeijers

This looks like the way to go. They made about 4M of them from 1988 to

1993, and about 15-20% of those were LE and SE versions. I can see the wiring and the colors, and I did find a diagram for a '92.

I also found the wiring for the Infinity stereo, and now can hook up an aftermarket and have those magnificent rear speakers booming their bass out... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Go to youtr local library and see if they have a manual. Second choice subscribe to Aldata or see if anyone around your area has the computerised manuals that can print you out the diagram. Can't remember the name of the program - but most garages use either it or Aldata now.

Reply to
clare

You can't blame Alldata for that. That's the individual shop's policy to strictly observe flat rate contrary to common sense and ethics. Otherwise, on a given procedure, alldata would have to come up with a list of all permutations of job combinations. There has to be some place for the shop's discretion and common sense in adjusting things accordingly. Those that use flat rate as an excuse to commit fraud (possibly not legal fraud, but certainly ethical fraud) are ones that I would choose not to do business with.

Reply to
Bill Putney

The proper charge is R&R water pump - it includes the belt - as any honest mechanic would do it.

Reply to
clare

Don't know about Alldata, but Mitchell on Demand - the other one I was trying to think of, there ARE combination charges listed.

As there are on most factory flat rate manuals. But the guy reading the manual still needs to have (and use) a brain.

Reply to
clare

Every garage I have ever used for major repairs, always assumed a water pump swapout was part of a timing belt change, and quoted it that way. Not many people keep a car long enough for a timing belt change, and those that do usually know why they should be changed at the same time.

Reply to
aemeijers

I just wait till mine break, usually at the edge of the middle of nowhere, at 5:00 in the afternoon, on a Friday...

Good thing I have non-interference engines...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B