'76 Pacer exhaust problems

I have a '76 Pacer with a 242. My exhaust manifold is cracked and warped. My mechaninc is having a tough time finding a new manifold. One option may be replacing it with a header. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? A make and manufacturer?

Reply to
puncheroo

Make that a 232. Oops.

Reply to
puncheroo

"puncheroo" wrote: ('76 Pacer 232 CID)

My exhaust manifold is cracked and warped. I can't find a new manifold so I may replace with a header. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? A header manufacturer? _____________________________________________________

Sorry, I have no info on headers for this engine.

If the crack is not too large you may be able to have it welded or brazed shut, and then have a machine shop grind the manifold mounting flange faces until they are parallel.

If that would cost more than a hundred dollars, you can go ahead and buy a new cast iron unit in EBAY Stores:

75 76 77 78 AMC Pacer 3.8L 232 Exhaust Manifold NEW $99.95

luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Your mechanic doesn't have the time to chase down parts for a car this old. Doesn't mean he is a bad mechanic.. he makes money by moving cars in and out and he can't move cars if he is busy searching for your hard to find part. I also have old cars and when I can't do the work myself my mechanic knows to call and tell me what he needs and I do the homework. Keeps my costs down. Do yourself a favor and get on the Internet and find one on your own. I'm sure they are still out there new somewhere and they aren't a wear item so you should be able to find a used one in a junkyard and have it shipped in.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

What Steve B. said is true... Junk yards have what they call "horns"... and can hook-up with satellite dishes throughout the USA.

One yard may say that they have many, the next, nill.... it's all supply and demand.

Good luck, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey