91 Chrysler Lebaron won't start

Good afternoon,

My 91 Chrysler con'vt. ran great this morning and at lunch but when I went to drive home... nothing. It's got gas in the tank and cranks well. I sprayed a little starter fluid down the air intake and it fired up for a moment so I know the ignition works. I spent a few minutes seeing if I had power to the fuel pump and that looked like a problem but when I jumped 12V to the pump directly, still nothing.

I suspect the fuel filter has never been replaced. Would a fuel filter clog all of a sudden with no decrease in performance before hand? The manual indicates that there is a auto shut down relay which seems to be working since it feeds the ignition coil as well as the fuel pump. The manual also references a "safety shut down" relay without any additional info. Is this "safety" relay the same as the auto shut down relay?

An old Jeep I had did the same thing when the crank position sensor went bad but I would think that the fact that the Chrysler will try to run off of starter fluid would indicate that this sensor was OK. Does it feed the fuel system circuit in anyway?

Any other ideas as to what I should be looking for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mitchell R. Brown

Reply to
Mitchell R Brown

Mitchell R Brown wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gsfc.nasa.gov:

There was an issue about the anti-theft flag tripping in the ECM when the vehicle wasn't even equipped with factory anti-theft. A revised ECM was used to solve this problem.

It would start then immediately die.. however it would run if an alternative fuel supply was used.

Reply to
Death

No, a filter wouldnt cause a sudden problem like that. Have you tried to pull the codes out of it. Cycle the key ON-Off-On Off=On, watch the check engine light. It will blink codes 12, then any codes that exist,then 55 to end message.

12 and 55 are always there, let us know if there are any other codes.
Reply to
CURLY