'96 Honda Clutch Adustment Question

I'm having to push my clutch pedal closer and closer to the floor to make the clutch disengage.

There seems to be no way to adjust the thing, nor is there evidence that the disk is warped (i.e., no clutch chatter).

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed. Right now it looks like I'm going to have to replace or rebuild the master and/or slave cylinder(s).

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Reply to
Front Office

Try pumping your clutch pedal - if it doesn't pump up chances are your clutch disk is about to go south!

Their should be an adjustment point either under the hood or perhaps under the dashboard or both - I don't have manual handy so I can't help you there!!!

Reply to
Backbone

======== ========

Check the fluid in the master cyl. resevoir.

Pull the rubber dust cover off the slave and see if there's signs of any dampness.

Crawl under the dash, pull the rubber dust cover off of the back of the master cyl. where the push rod comes through the firewall to go to the pedal, see if there's any dampness. Sometimes this isn't necessary, you'll see signs of leakage coming down under the dash where the master mounts to the firewall.

do a repost

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

======== ========

Check the fluid in the master cyl. resevoir.

Pull the rubber dust cover off the slave and see if there's signs of any dampness.

Crawl under the dash, pull the rubber dust cover off of the back of the master cyl. where the push rod comes through the firewall to go to the pedal, see if there's any dampness. Sometimes this isn't necessary, you'll see signs of leakage coming down under the dash where the master mounts to the firewall.

do a repost

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Pumping it doesn't help. However, I'm stlll thinking (or hoping) it's possible that a bubble might somehow have got lodged permanently in the slave cylinder.

I've found no adjustment under the hood. I never thought to look under the dash. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll gird myself for dealing with the cost of (and probably the work of installing) a new disk . . .

Bob

Reply to
Front Office

Surprising to say, I haven't yet done that.

Good idea!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

Reply to
Front Office

Grins and giggles>>>>>>>>>>>>> try to press the clutch pedal all the way to floor, release, then grab it with your hand and PULL up towards you. The self-ratchet adjuster will adjust.

If that doesn't help, go with the fluid and cylinder suggestions above.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Neat suggestion! I'll give it a shot -- though I think I might get the same effect just by pushing it in and then slipping my foot off to the side . . .

thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Front Office