replacing brake rotors

I had one brake rotor which was scarred. The mechanic told me to replace the rotors costing another $100 more. I asked if the rotor could be machined (about 3/16 inch). He said yes. The rotor on the other side looked fine, but he told me that it too needed to be machined. It had a slight unevenness which could be removed by removing at most 1/16 of an inch. He told me that both need to be machined otherwise the brakes would not grip evenly? Is that true, or is he just trying to milk more money out of me?

Reply to
deodiaus

It is best to do both but not absolutely necessary. OTOH, I would not even bother machining the rotors on your 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. Just replace them instead.

Reply to
« Paul »

These days, I suspect it may be cheaper for you in the long run just to replace the rotors. Yes, it costs a little more than resurfacing, but it'll last longer.

And yes, if one needs to be machined or replaced, almost certainly they both do.

Don't fool around with brakes. When brakes fail, people die.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The most common reason why rotors have to be replaced is that they have been machined too many times. The brake shops love to do that because they get to sell you new ones the next time you come back.

Each time you machine a perfectly good rotor, you are taking tens of thousands of miles off it.

Grooves that are not too deep are acceptable.

Glaze can be removed with a light sanding, rather than a full machining.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Rotors can be worn beyond specs and never have been machined.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Rather than machining, I would just replace both rotors.

Reply to
John S.

Yep. Most FWD cars' rotors are made with a minimum of meat in the first place...machining will often take them below spec the first time, and even if not, leaves them susceptible to developing stress related warping and cracking later...just throw a new pair on it...and be sure they put a non-directional finish on the new ones, for faster seating of the new pads and better stopping power, along with reduced noise problems...a lot of the new ones we installed were generating complaints from the start until we began putting a swirl on them before installing....

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Hey 'jeff' that's interesting. How do you put that non-directional finish on them? Thx in advance for the info. s

Reply to
sdlomi2