96 Nissan Quest Starting Problem

Hi,

My van wouldn't start the other day. I turned the key but the starter wouldn't turn over. All the lights worked and the headlights didn't dim when I tried it. I tried putting it in neutral but still nothing. I kept trying for over 1/2 hour and nothing. I had it towed about 7 miles to the shop we usually take the vehicle to. It started fine for them.

Any ideas what could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Reply to
P&L

"P&L" writes in article dated 16 Sep 2005

10:29:53 -0700:
2 main possibilities -- stuck solonoid or bad starter motor.

You can test the solonoid with a voltmeter next time you have the problem:

The thick battery cable should always be 12V.

One of the two thin wires is the ground. This should always be 0V.

The other thin wire is the relay signal. This should be 12V when you're trying to start and 0V otherwise. If it isn't, your problem is upstream.

The second thick cable goes to the starter. This should be 12V whenever the relay signal is 12V. (In practice it's somewhat less due to the large current draw of the starter, which is the same thing that causes the headlights to dim.)

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

You could have a number of problems, but it sounds like a loose connectin somewhere to me ... likely between the ignition switch and the starter or the battery and the starter.

If the headlights work and don't dim ... and you moved the shifter from park to neutral and it still didn't help ... to me it seems like a loose connection over a starter that's dying ... although your starter could be dying, too (worn out brushes) and the tow job jarred it enough to make good contact.

Reply to
Walter

Had a somewhat similar problem with my 87 Nissan pickup, but the same thing could happen to any vehicle. Hit the starter: nothing. I had a friend try the starter while I took a piece of iron rod and used it to give the starter a tap. It engaged and the engine started. After that, it started "most" of the time OK, but the "taps" became more frequent and it often took several. I replaced the starter (the solenoid comes attached...) before it left me stuck somewhere...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Be careful when "tapping" on a newer starter (like the one found on this Quest). They are of a "permanent magnet" design. Tapping on them too hard or in the wrong spot could break the magnets and render the starter useless. If tapping on it works, you can probably find a rebuilder in your area that will sell you or install a set of brushes for you, saving you a fortune over buying one that was previously rebuilt or one from a dealer. If the magnets are broken, it isn't worth doing.

Reply to
Walter

I think I'll try having the starter rebuilt.

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
P&L

Reply to
triggm via CarKB.com

I tried moving the shifter to different positions while I tried the starter so I'm thinking its not the neutral safety switch.

Reply to
P&L