96 I30 won't start--intermittent

I hopped into my 96 I-30 after it had been sitting all day, drove for about 10 minutes, and then parked for about 5 minutes. Went to turn the key, and nothing happened. All the idiot lights came on when I turned the key, but the car wouldn't turn over. No starter sound, no click, nothing. Headlights turned on fine. Repeated several times , waited 5 minutes, still nothing. So I called AAA, and after about 10 more minutes of waiting, just tried again for the heck of it. Started normally, and off I went.

Any ideas what's going on here? TIA.

Reply to
Steve Green

Either the starter is on the way out, or the ignition switch is. Likely the starter.

Reply to
E Meyer

Reply to
mike w

it could be the neutral safety switch, try shifting to neutral, back to park and back again trying in each position. the ignition switch on my maxima is starting to get tempermental though, requiring a very hard turn (often several) to get it to turn over.

Steve Green wrote:

Reply to
y2kbugg

I have this exact problem with my 97 Maxima. When it first happened nothing would start the car. My mechanic replaced the starter 3x and the problem was fixed for a couple of months. In the last year this has only happened a couple of times.

Replacing the starter was the only thing that worked at first. Now I can use the tricks previously described (shifting from drive thru the gears).

This summer my car played this little trick on me when I was visiting NYC. I was parked on a busy street in the Village and the car wouldn't start. I had to shift the gears while pulling the steering wheel.

Very nerve wrack> it could be the neutral safety switch, try shifting to neutral, back to

Reply to
nicolendes