96 Voyager Van - Start Up Problem

Hi all,

If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened. Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.

Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?

Thanks, Todd

Reply to
Todd

The exhaust smells of fuel, so you know there is fuel in the cylinder. Next question... do you have spark? Pull a plug and see.

To start, you need FAST: Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing. Check all four.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Your going to have to explain "it won't turn over." Usually that means the starter is not running and the engine is not turning over/cranking. If that is the case, you have a starting problem. Bad battery, bad connections, bad starter, energize wire not seeing currunt, etc. What is it doing/not doing?

Reply to
dahpater

That was a bad explanation on my part. The motor cranks but acts as if it is not getting spark or fuel. I do not smell any gas at the motor at all. The gas smell is very strong towards the rear of the vehicle. The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel pump without turning the motor. Do you think this could just be a bad fuel line? I will check for spark tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

maybe test the fuel pressure.

Reply to
boxing

Todd,

You may have an immediate hazard on your hands. Be careful.

You REALLY need to figure out if that gasoline odor is from the tail pipe or not. This is the difference between an engine issue which others have been discussing, and a broken fuel line which is a completely different process of diagnosis and is very hazardous. If not the tail pipe, then read on.

This bothers me: "The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel pump without turning the motor." Very bad! That is what you would expect from a break in the fuel line somewhere under the rear of the car.

Where is the fuel pump located? Run the pump for a few seconds, then start checking everything between the gas tank and the engine for a visible leak. Start at wherever you think is the source of the odor. Youy're going to have to get under the vehicle of course. In particular check around the fuel line connections on the gas tank.

I must remind you of stupid common sense stuff like only work on this outdoors and don't do anything that might make a spark near gasoline odors. (Spark tests inside the engine compartment are okay if it does not reek of gasoloine.)

DO NOT go under the car with the fuel pump turned on. You might want an assistant standing by with a fire extinguisher. Non smoker of course. ;-)

Please don't make us read the end of this thread on the five o'clock news. Good luck.

--Dave

Reply to
Dave Allured

Reply to
Master Asshole

Thanks all. It was a bad fuel line. I am just glad I didn't go up in flames! Once underneath I saw it. I replaced the line and it is all better now.

Thanks again, Todd

Reply to
Todd

Are you sure you were glad......