accord start up problem

Hi. I have a 1990 honda accord and recently when I try to start the car it just whines but doesnt start. If i let it sit for about 15-20 minutes then try again it starts up fine. This has happened about 3 times this month and im not quite sure what is wrong. 90% of the time it starts up fine. Im thinking I need a new starter? Is there anything specific I should check? If i need to replace the starter does anyone know how much it usually costs? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
waivted

If it sounds like something isn't engaging ie you hear something spinning faster than it should, your starter isn't engaging. You can either replace it, or fix it...depending on your budget. If it were me, I would replace it.

Let us know how you make out..

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Yea I'm thinking i might need to replace it. Do you have any idea how much it should cost around? I don't want to go to an autoshop and get ripped off. Thanks.

Reply to
waivted

Well, it is certainly gonna be less money if you do it yourself..... not really familiar with how it is mounted on your car... it could be accessed easily or it could be hard to get at, but if it is easy to get to, you can do it yourself... just nconnect everything in reverse of how you take it apart.... I believe it is held on by two maybe three bolts....just remember to disconnect your battery.... Autozone, or advanced auto sells the starters, and there will probably be a core charge until you return the old one. Not sure how much... my guess is it could range from 40 bucks to 180 bucks...if you are somewhat mechanical, it isn't a hard job....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

Thanks a lot. I'll definately drop by autozone tomorrow. Gonna start doing some online research to see how I can change it out.

Reply to
waivted

You might even try walking into a honda dealer and ask how big of a job it is. They might offer some advise.... some do and some don't....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear