Adapt a Radiator to a garden hose

Hi,

I'm trying to adapt a radiator to a garden hose. See below for explanation. Are there common adaptors ? Also, how much heat can a radiator withstand ?

So here's the explanation. i need hot water to treat and re-treat a backyard ice rink. if I can fit a radiator with an adaptor to a garden hose, I can throw the whole contraption onto a fire and voila, have nice hot water to resurface the ice.

That is, after i build a hand held Zamboni....

Reply to
bigfluffydog

No, but you can make some.

Depends. Old copper ones can handle whatever the solder on them can deal with. Modern plastic-bodied ones can handle whatever the plastic used can deal with.

Most soldered radiators used 10/90 solder, which is good up to 514'F, but some usd as low as 25/75, which will soften at 362'F. Your goal is to keep enough water going through the system to keep it from getting over that point.

Plastic ones I don't know numbers on.

Why not just connect the hose to the drain line on your house's hot water heater?

I would think a lawn roller could be adapted with a sharp blade in front without too much machine shop work.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

About 400 degrees MAX.

Toss it on the fire and watch it MELT into a puddle. The solder on an older unit will melt real fast and the newer aluminum ones will just plain melt.

You could make a barrel water heater though. Use a barrel stove kit to make a stove, then make a flat coil out of the copper and form it around the outside top of the barrel.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Phillip McCracken