Axle reinstall

Hi--

I just removed a passenger-side front axle from a 97 Acura CL. I'm ready to install a new axle into the transaxle. It seems like a tight fit. Is it OK to put grease on the inner spindle? Do I need to worry about grease getting into the transaxle?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim

Tim wrote in news:cc41ec85-1b9e-4cbc-875e-dd4bb9124158 @u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

No grease needed. It's probably just the set-ring that makes it feel tight. You need to use a hammer and drift (or big screwdriver) to whack the thing into place. Place the drift on an edge on the inner joint's housing and hammer away.

But make sure the set-ring is CENTERED! Might need to put a bit of grease on the set-ring to hold it centered in its groove. Some set-rings are oval, and stay centered on their own. Others are round and can drop down off-center relative to the driveshaft splines.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the reply. The inner joint housing is covered (on the wheel side) with a rubber boot. I think I would damage this when hammering. Do you have another approach?

Tm

Reply to
Tim

8

I finally got it in by grabbing the shaft and the outer boot and thrusting it in.

Then I spent another hour trying to get the hub and the outer spindle to align. I finally got it. There must be some trick to getting those to line up easier.

Reply to
Tim

You shouldn't hit the axle with anything to install it. You can do damage to the axle.

Reply to
m6onz5a

m6onz5a wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m1g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

Some inner joints have a flat face on their sides that you can hammer on. Looks like the OP simply gave it a running start, which also works.

Reply to
Tegger

Tim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

I should have suggested that too.

The tightness depends on the set-ring. Some are just too tight to simply ram home.

It's like the clutch splines: you need to have them dead-nuts straight before they'll engage.

Reply to
Tegger

6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, Tegger.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

just how the pros do it.

practice m'boy, practice.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't know about front wheel drive cars, I have never owned one before, but if you want to get an axle out of a 1950's 1 ton Ford truck, after you have removed the nuts, wop the end of the axel with a big hammer and it will bounce out a few inches. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I spent a week trying to get mine apart on an Integra, never did. It was jammed into the intermediate shaft so I had to take it off as a unit. I guess the last mechanic pounded in in there w/o aligning the clip lol. Oh, and I had to do all this to change the alternator - what a design!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mat

LOL! That's usually what I do...everything lined up? HEAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

huh huh...he said "WOP"...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Works on FIATs?

OTOH, son in California had to replace an axle set on Honda, and afterward it popped out on him on the LA Freeway. He had installed it okay , but apparently there was more than one axle set for this particular car, and the parts counter gave him the wrong one. Lucky it didnt kill him.

Reply to
hls

Big Hammer, it worked on that Trabant car in that James Bond movie.When the engine started running, the fan blade wasen't turning. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think you should buy a Trabby, Cuhulin. You need nothing but pliars, a BFH, and crescent wrench to do anything that needs to be done.

They are pulling them out of junkyards in Germany to rebuild them, so fond are the east Germans for their signature automobile.

Reply to
hls

I wouldn't mind owning a Trabant car.And a warbling Wartburg car too.The sporty looking one. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In message , hls writes

True, they're a collectors item, now that the Berlin wall is down and they're history.

Reply to
Clive

In message , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net writes

We used to have Wartburg Knights here in the UK until they were banned because being two strokes they couldn't even meet the loose emissions regulations at the time.

Reply to
Clive

Dang, man some of these are pretty cool!

And especially...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B