55 oval carb question

I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating there is a "flat" spot in the power output at what I would estimate is about

1/3 max rpm. Pulls strong off the line :) and no problem in 1st. then sort of slumps in mid range rpms in 2,3, and 4th. Once in mid range RPM and higher no problem. Perhaps connected to this is when the car sits for more than 2-3 days I have to crank it for about 20-30 secs to start. I suspect that the carb is drained of gas and I need to pull gas from the tank to the carb in order to start it hence the long start time. If it has been just one or two days it starts right up. Battery and starter seem strong. No smell of gas leaking anywhere. Any troubleshooting advice would be helpful. Where should I start? Carb is whatever originally came on this car (30hp 1200). Thanks in Advance Howard
Reply to
Howard Nelson

No shit. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.

Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah, like REBUILT?

Reply to
jjs

Done at 49K and that was when the problem started.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Sounds like a beautiful car you've got there and a real treasure knowing it's history from day one. I think you should get another 28 pic carb,preferably rebuilt,install it on the car and see if it solves the problem. You could then save the old carb as a spare or rebuild it again. I agree with your wondering about the tone of your reply. Unfortunately this group has diverged from it's original purpose or intent---to share knowledge of air cooled VWs and help out other hobbyists with your knowledge. Seems to be too much insider gossip and backbiting going on. Been involved here for over 6 yearsand it disturbs me too. Just my opinion-Fred67bug

Reply to
Vw67lives

Could you recommend a source for a 28 pic carb. I wanted to keep it as original as possible but would certainly try a new carb since traffic moves pretty quickly today and it would be nice to keep up.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Terrific story. I love hearing the provenance and history of a vehicle like this. Never, never, never sell it. (but if you do ... gimme a call :-)

I don't know for sure but I'd think that West Coast Classics would be a good bet for finding the material:

There's absolutely no reason for the remarks. Just consider the source and ignore it. Your killfile would come in handy there, you wouldn't miss anything relevant.

Yep. :-) Morons do run rampant.

Sorry I can't help with the carb question. Good luck.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

I just remembered this seller on The Samba:

have not personally bought anything from him but have heard good words abouthim. Click the `search for feedback' link to see if anyone has left feedback.

hth

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Reply to
Braukuche

Have you looked for manifold/gasket leaks?

Reply to
jjs

how ironic.....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 04:56:47 GMT, "Howard Nelson" scribbled this interesting note:

eBay. And a good carguretor shop to rebuild it, including new throttle shaft bushings. At least that's what I did with our '59.

John Willis

Just a tiny bit of 'wisdom' regarding rebuilt small carbs. When you have had a well made carb that worked well for decades, it's likely that a rebuild will not be as good. Face it, most of the carbs made in the fifties were lumps with a low percentage of perfection. You got a good one from the get-go. Quite rare, IMHO.

But the important part was driven home to me by a true master of carburation. He watched over me as I rebuilt a carb for an early bike. I was meticulous. Then he showed me all the mistakes I made - little things in anyone else's book, like overlooking a miniscule decades-hardened bit that could dislodge, less than perfect gaskets (most gaskets are pretty bad), the popular but wrong float valve, and especially overtorqued jets and screws. Learn what an inch-pound means. :) Then he concluded, "but it's the best rebuild I've seen here."

So maybe starting all over with a reputable make of carb is a better idea than a rebuild. (My mentor would take it apart and rebuild it before using it for the first time!)

And sorry for the grief I gave you earlier.

Reply to
jjs

Howard,

congratulations on your car! sounds great!! I just purchased a 55 oval ragtop with semi's. I cannot help you with the carb question

-sorry - as I am now learning about this car and it's unique characteristics; but one of the earlier people here had a good point about trying another carb, I would go that route - if this happens at high speeds, does this correlate to it happens when the engine is running hot? I'm working on some "minor problems" of my own. I'm use to newer bugs - 68 and up. Could I ask you some questions regarding what may be missing on my bug

- outside this group.

Don't give up on this group!! - I've been visiting for here for years and 90 % of the people are great! There are always 1 or 2 that give problems. Just like in the "outside world"

Matt S

Reply to
MATT S.
[snip great words of wisdom about carbs]

Yeah, we all have bad days. When I read the first post I was kinda incensed, too. "This car ran great, then I had things rebuilt (presumably by someone else less meticulous than yourself) then things started going to heck."

Like another earlier person posted "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

I've worked on cars from a relatively stubborn 1933 Dodge 2 ton truck to a

2002 New Beetle Turbo S, and probably the greatest lesson I have learned from any car is "Don't f--k with it". Sometimes parts are obviously broken/worn, and/or ready to fail, and of course they need to be replaced, but generally the safest route for anyone is not to mess with it.

Like the '33 dodge above, the brakes weren't working quite up to snuff, tore into the drums, all the (original!!!) brake pads and stuff looked fine, still about 3/8ths or so left on the pads, front and back, turned out that the rear brake line had a small puncture in it, (we did drive this truck on logging roads, in the woods, to very remote areas), and my dad's solution? Hammer the rear brake line so that fluid wouldn't leak to the rear. Of course, we were running on front brakes only for a number of years, but it's not like a 1933 Dodge really had all that much metal to stop, and when we had her fully loaded with trees, putting her into 1st would slow you down to

1-5MPH. (Serious crashbox granny, that I learned how to drive on :) )

Great story about your dub, nice to see that is still possible in today's age of $40,000 'restos' and stuff. Never give up your car, you would regret it the rest of your life.

Reply to
ekoman

I replaced a cardboard thermostat in my Chrysler a while back with parts from the local parts store and the gasket had huge part numbers stamped into it -possibly with a drop forge press...would that leak?? I went MOPAR. Dave

Reply to
Dave

You don't need a new carb, stay with the original. A carb with 51K on it is in good condition, you won't find a better one. Stay with the original carb, unless it is obviously damaged. If it's a carb problem, then all you have to do is clean it and readjust it.

Also check that the vacum diaphragm on the distributor is working properlly. Remove the distributor cap, and attach a 50ml sylinge on the carb end of the vacum hose. Use the sylinge to create vacum. You should see the points plate in the distributor moving according to the vacum you apply. If it doesn't move, either the point's plate binds and needs cleaning or the vacum diaphragm is shot.

Check the advance mechanism first, then the carb, then for vacum leaks in the inlet manifold.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thank you very much for this helpful approach. I will try these things in that order and report back to the group with my findings (may not be soon).

Howard Nelson 55 type 1 OEM

Reply to
Howard Nelson