cables

When driving with cables, is it normal for there to be loud vibrations

when not on snow? How do most people deal with this? Earplugs?

Reply to
bob

Well, DUH... You take the cables off!

Reply to
Calab

Take the chains or cables off. In most places it's illegal to drive with them on dry roads, isn't it?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Many areas will have a mix of snow and ice and dry pavement in winter. It is impractical to be constantly stopping to change the cables. I expect that allowances are made in law or in practice under mixed conditions. You might check your drivers' license manual or other reference.

The noise from cables never bothered me on the rare occasions when I was using them. If the noise is very loud, your speed may be unsafe for cables, and you may just have to slow down a bit. Read the directions on the box.

--Dave

Reply to
Dave Allured

Rule 1: You only use t hem when they are actually needed. Rule 2: Check laws to see when they're legal to use; it's not very often. Ruve 3: See Rule 1.

Reply to
Twayne

Your cables will not last long at all on dry roads and are supposed to be removed or you go 'real' slow and careful to the next snow patch. They are for emergency use, just like chains.

Something like my 4x4 in part time 4x4 mode for high traction. If I continue on in 4x4 after the snow has cleared, I 'will' break something, maybe something expensive.

If you continue on on dry roads, a cable will let go likely sooner than later which can take out your brakes or a tire or just beat your fender to pieces.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain