Speedo Cables ?

My 67' fiberglass buggy is eating speedo cables like crazy. I go through 3-4 in a good summer. What might I be doing wrong ? Maybe routing ? Although I don't have any tight bends in the cable. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

Take one of your old broken cables and cut off the upper 6" of the inner wire. Using this flexible cable, stick the square end in the back side of the speedometer and spin it with your fingers. It should spin with no effort and no tight spots. If there is any drag there, you'll feel it this way. That part needs to be completely smooth or you'll damage cables.

-

Jim Adney

Where are the cables braking? are they making tight turns? Try rebuilding your speedo, and while you are at it, put some grease on it. it's really easy and makes the whole dash look new.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

When you give the speedo a once-over like other posts suggested, also try putting a couple squirts of silicone lubricant down the tube.

Will help keep the cable from destroying itself.

Reply to
Seth Graham

They are breaking within about 2-3 inches of the square end that fits into the cap on the wheel hub. Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883