Car advice

OK, I want to replace my 1988 Caddy with a 2014 or 15 Corolla, probably from the local dealer. I feel comfy buying old cars, but not cars that you have to (or choose to -- I'm getting lazy) pay somebody to fix. I can pretty much tell what's wrong with an old car, but I have no idea at all about what's going to go wrong with a new car in the next, say, five years. I have a mech that I trust and I'll ask his opinion before I buy, but still...

I've read conflicting things about rental cars. Good: they were probably driven mostly on the freeway rather than stop+go; they get regular maintenance. Bad: around here, a significant chunk of freeway driving can be stop+go; a car that's going to be dumped in one or two years doesn't need all that much maintenance, and they can lie about it.

I just don't feel good about a car with 33K miles in 1.5 years...

Do dealers toss in various extra fees/costs in addition to sales tax on USED cars?

Is Toyota "certification" a guarantee that they'll fix stuff, or do they just say they checked all that stuff and were satisfied that it was OK?

Opinions welcome.

Reply to
The Real Bev

.

That last link should have read

.

I rent a car about every two weeks. Scenario: drive to airport, fly to destination, rent a car, go to meeting, drive back to airport, fly home. Yah, most freeways are stop and go. Company pays my expenses. Business travelers don't have time to abuse a rental. From what I have seen about 40-50% of renters are women. They don't abuse vehicles.

The worst cars I have ever rented were Toyota Corollas. I will never rent another Toyota of any model. I can pretty much rent anything that I want (within reason) but my all time fav rental is a Ford Focus. Kia/Hyundai Elantra a close second.

My last two personal cars were ex-rentals.

1992 Grand Am, bought with ~32k miles, went 225k before getting rid of it. Current car is a 2006 Kia Spectra, bought with 36k, now has ~100k, probably the best car I have ever owned. Nothing has gone wrong with it yet.
Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I've only rented a few cars -- a Hundai Elantra which blew me away with the mileage, and something else which seemed fine. I'm very forgiving and can't imagine that I'd be really unhappy with any newish car for any reason other than self-destruction of some sort. My kids thrashed hell out of their ancient Toyotas, which were eventually dragged kicking and screaming to the junkyard -- still running.

If all I needed was a fun car I'd buy a Honda S2000 at the drop of a hat. My friend has one with racing tires, and driving it down the mountain from skiing was a real kick.

BUT I want practical :-(

We used to fix our cars and motorcycles. I really don't want to do that any more, but I deeply resent paying hundreds of dollars to someone else for something that I could have done in a day if I'd had the parts. I hate being at the mercy of others, so reliability is a big thing -- I don't get rid of a car until it's virtually unrepairable, or the cost of repair is ridiculous.

Reply to
The Real Bev

My experience about rental cars.

Since they do not own them, renters treat them like trash.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

If you were driving a Cadillac previously, you would be impressed by the mileage of most cars. I used to have an 88 Seville. The rear air suspension went South so it looked like a dog dragging it ass on the carpet. Sometimes the rear would lift up when you opened the trunk - it looked like a cat in heat. I did enjoy the ride though - it made me feel kinda special. :)

I rented a car in the UK that impressed me. It had a 2L turbo diesel. The engine was smooth, with the flattest torque curve ever and felt a lot bigger than it was. Cruising at 70 MPH and passing was effortless - amazing! It even got over 40 MPG. The car is sold in the US as the Buick Verano although I don't think it's available with that wonderful engine.

The only thing wrong with it was that the steering wheel was installed on the wrong side. It's very hard to drive since my wife was sitting in the passenger seat. I can't say much about the drivers in the UK either. They kept driving on the wrong side of the road. It must be all that room temperature ale or whatever the heck they're drinking!

Reply to
dsi1

Driving on the 'wrong side of the road' (the left side) first got started in Scotland.

Reply to
JR

This makes sense since their first great idea was the bagpipes. :)

Reply to
dsi1

Friends drove around Ireland for a month and sort of got used to driving on the wrong side. When we were in London for 3 days I couldn't even get used to looking the wrong way when I crossed the street :-(

Doesn't haggis count? I suspect that's something the Scots invented to inflict on tourists who are hoping for an authentic Scottish experience.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I almost got kilt crossing the street too. We're trained to look R-L-R since childhood. That's a hard habit to break and it just might get you killed.

Haggis always counts! :)

Reply to
dsi1

Joke Of The Day calendar, Monday Jan 25 Q: Why do bagpipers walk as they play? A: They're trying to get away from the noise.

Reply to
Sanity Clause

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 11:43:20 -0700, The Real Bev wrote as underneath :

If I were running a rental company I would make sure the cars had all its liquids and tyres up to snuff all the time maintaining the asset value - but apart from that I wouldnt do a damn thing unless something major goes wrong or the unit has an accident. Thats why they sell them youngish before any real expensive maintenance comes up. Of course they buy new at a massive bulk discount and that makes the reselling to punter sums work out just fine - for them. C+

Reply to
Charlie+

It's supposed to be a difficult instrument to play - probably because when you play it, you wear earplugs. :)

Reply to
dsi1

It's an ill wind that no one blows well.

Reply to
.

Hey, I really like bagpipes. Given my limited set of small-muscle motor skills I could probably actually play one!

Reply to
The Real Bev

You're in luck, as it doesn't require a skilled embouchure; and being able to withstand torture will be an advantage.

Reply to
.

Actually, Bagpipes started in Ireland ...

Reply to
Brian Gordon

Uillean Pipes Ireland Youtube ...Real Men Wear Kilts, Sean Connery would tell you.

Reply to
JR

More like finger dexterity. I can play a few simple songs on the recorder, and my skill at the violin is execrable -- I can hit within

20% of the right note 50% of the time. I envy and admire people who are actually able to MAKE music.
Reply to
The Real Bev