Changing a flat tire.... with a sledgehammer??

Some areas have so many trees in the right of way that they can't put in underground power lines.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then you should refuse to have Cable TV, and Electricity. Do you have a cellphone? If you do, you need to smash it with a sledge hammer since those bastards use TOWERS, instead of underground signalling.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

take another lithium - your dosage is too low.

Reply to
jim beam

Around here all the local distribution is underground. With the winters we get, and the occaisional summer storms, that is a good thing - and the power doesn't go out every second time some idiot leaves the road. The costs of repairing above-ground distribution systems outweighs the cost savings of above-ground vs underground over the lifespan of the system several times over. Particularly under the above mentioned conditions.

Reply to
clare

Battery BACKUP?? Who needs battery BACKUP on a battery operated alarm clock??? It is, in reality, more of a flashlight with an alarm clock built in than an alarm clock with a flashlight built in.

Touch mine on the top and the display lights up. Slide the switch on the side and the bottom becomes a decent flash-light. Separate aa(X2) batteries for light and aaa for clock.

Reply to
clare

Must be a pretty fancy flashlight if it can light candles?

Reply to
clare

Because I am a retired engineer and understand the problem. Do you really think that you know better than the power company?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

A few years ago Popular Science (maybe it was Popular Mechanics magazine?) magazine ran an article about how to make your own fire starter flashlight.

If I was doing one of those survival TV shows, I would be toteing all kinds of things for making a fire. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

I'm not on lithum, unlike you.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

WHAT FEMA bus? FEMA didn't show up for a full month, then the bastards destroyed the private street with a front end loader because they were too damn lazy to do the job properly. Then they gave an illegal alien on the next street a brand new home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What we cut up and piled beside the pavement to clear our street filled two large dump trucks. Then the county had a huge open burn pit to get rid of all the downed trees. It had a roaring fire for over six months.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

i too am "a retired engineer" and understand the technical problem. what i'm [rhetorically] asking is why there's a double standard where residential owners are treated as second class with vulnerable overhead supply compared to commercial with protected buried supply. it's clearly not a matter of losses.

but since you [without notation] snipped all the relevant part of my last post, i guess that's not something you're interested in addressing.

Reply to
jim beam

What a waste of perfectly good firewood...

The City could have paid a Crew to section it up, split it, and stack it by species at the back of the Street Maintenance yard. Give it the summer to season, then paid the crew and put something back in the budget out of the proceeds from the wood.

But that would take thought and reasoning, and the ability to act when you see an opportunity - several things in short supply today.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

I did not realize that any of your post was relavant. Sorry about that.

The double standard probably exists for more than one reason. I suspect the commercial customers are closer together than the residential customers. The commercial customers also are likely to use more power that the residential customers, so it is in the power company's interest to keep them with power. The residential customers are likely to work at the commercial places. So having the commercial customers with power can benefit the residential customers. I built a house in an area where there not a lot of houses. And was at the end of a power line that threaded along the shore amongst the trees. So when there was high winds we often lost power. But I could fill up water containers at work and also take a shower at work. So I benefited from the higher reliability of the power where I worked.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

FEMA is going to do a National alert test, I think on November 9th.No radio and TV broadcasts for a few minutes, at 1:00 PM or 2:00 PM, Eastern Time Zone. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

not relevant to someone trying to "pull rank".

apparently you've never visited any major urban areas.

only as long as residential customers are too much of a push-over and don't demand the same standards of service.

wow, that is some spectacular pretzel logic you have there dude! have you ever thought of going into politics by any chance?

stick to living off the south 40 dan. you'd hate having to deal with city living and the logic of paying for the privilege of being a second class customer with a house full of new fangled things like washing machines, tv's, toasters, refrigerators, lightbulbs, and even, plug-in electric cars.

Reply to
jim beam

The double standard probably exists for more than one reason. ... Dan

In New England buried services aren't completely reliable either, even the ones unaffected by ground water. For example the water main cracked and flooded the road in front of my house. Water, sewer and gas line work have all caused repaving in front of my house or my immediate neighbors'. If they have to dig up the road in winter the temporary paving rapidly deteriorates into potholes. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

jim beam wrote in news:j8hl4d$fi5$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

your half right since the comercial use many times as much elect as resadential thus makeing it much more fesiable to supply a high voltage underground feed as it costs twice as much to do underground and they can recover there cost much faster.

ya you just try throwing your punny low use weight around mr know nothing. you would prob. not even have elect if the gov didn`t mandate it. your usage is nothing compaired to the cost of delivering it. You are not contributing to the profit so be glad you have such good service as you do get. you really are short sited. if your so important get your own generator and produce your own reliable elect. 24/7 KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

but the cost of stringing wires from poles is /way/ cheaper - so cost recovery is not only proportional, it's often better...

public utilities enjoy many benefits from their status. not only do they get to enjoy monopoly status without someone else digging in on their most profitable turf, they enjoy very favorable finance rates on the money markets. all this derives from their public mandate. they want my endorsement - where's mine? it's a gyp.

b.s.

commercial. residential. making. feasible. puny. compared. sighted. you're. etc.

Reply to
jim beam

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 29 Oct 2011

13:16:14 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Dang. Every time I see trees downed by storms, I wish I knew some gyppo loggers, and a sawmill.

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich