Anyone with a feeling on permatex?

Permatex anaerobic gasket maker. I can't find loctite 515 locally but NAPA has this stuff. Just wondering if anyone has used it and what the experience was. Last thing I need is another gootube on my garage wall. :)

Reply to
DougW

When I rode Yamahas in the 60's Permatex Form-A-Gasket was a big part of my repair kit!

Paul B.

01 XJ
Reply to
PLB49

Reply to
Jeepster

This stuff is identical to the anaerobic that Loctite makes. I use it when resealing Northstar engines during rebuild, and in a pinch a month or so ago, my parts guy got me the Permatex brand, and it had the same appearance, consistency, odor, everything.

It is also a pretty good product, when used as intended. Notice they say that it is made to fill gaps up to .015 It is actually very good at filling in minor imperfections when used with an O-ring type seal as a primary gasket. Transfer cases and differential housings that are machined aluminum or magnesium seal up well with this stuff as a stand alone, but those are well-machined surfaces, not even close to .015 gap.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Jerry Newton did pass the time by typing:

Thanks, from what others told me Loctite actually makes this stuff for Permatex. What threw me was the card for Permatex mentions an activator spray and Loctite doesn't unless you read the tech stuff. Then Loctite mentions using an accelerant to get a faster seal. (shaves 8 hours off the curve).

Got two machined flat aluminum plates that mate the supercharger to the intake rail. My guess it they are much tighter than .015, but without a perfectly flat steel it's just a guess.

Ordered a new spider gear for my charger (Found another noise) just hope it's not the aluminum carriers. (haven't cracked the case yet since I needed

515 or similar to put it back together). Noise from the cracked exhaust header was masking other problems. Anyhoo, HESCO is going to send a tube of 515/8 with the parts order and I'll go from there.

The ZJ is starting to remind me of a credit card commercial, "What's in your wallet?" :)

Reply to
DougW

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:05:42 -0500, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "DougW" :

I've used the Permatex Ultra Grey silicone to do my differentials, and their Hypolar HPF to seal the combo tank on a Stihl chainsaw I stripped and rebuilt. Both worked great.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Bob Casanova did pass the time by typing:

Yep, I have that Hylomar HPF stuff here, problem is it's not good for machined surfaces. Works well with pressed metal like tranny and oil pans though.

Reply to
DougW

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:22:07 -0500, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "DougW" :

Well, the mating surfaces on the chainsaw are machined and it seems to be working fine; no leaks to the outside or between the tanks, anyway. Of course, there's effectively zero pressure differential, so maybe that explains it. I used it because it's rated for fuel contact.

Reply to
Bob Casanova