Changing a flat tire.... with a sledgehammer??

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

Power lines are above ground in this area (unlike newer communities where they are underground), so thunderstorms, hurricanes, sleet storms, and the like can bring trees down on the power lines.

I typically get quite a few few-second glitches per year, plus often an outage long enough (over an hour) to require me to shut my computers down gracefully before the UPS runs out of battery power.

This is in Northern VA near the Washington DC area. Maryland has it a lot worse, with storm-caused outages extending up to a week in duration.

Gas, water, phone, and sewage are all underground, and re typically uninterrupted.

Oh yes -- we also actually had an earthquake this year, too.

Power is less interrupted by storms in the cities, where the power lines are underground -- but in recent years, some of the older parts of DC have had several failures of the underground lines in a single summer, sending manhole covers flying.

So -- yes, unfortunately, power outages are more common here than I would like.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It was mostly infected water oaks, and covered in spanish moss and other things you don't want in your home. You can't even give away firewood around here. That pit covered about five acres, and was 50 feet deep in the center when they first filled it and lit it. You need a permit to get rid of trees around here, so there are still tens of thousands of sick & dying trees that you aren't allowed to remove, because the morons in charge don't undersand the need to removce them to give other trees a better chance to survive. Pine trees are being killed by a borer. If you cut that up and stack it near your house you can expect damage to your home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Have you ever seen a water oak? Not a lot of good wood, unless you need to grind it into sawdust.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Stick to what you know, which is nothing. Some areas have so much rock in the ground that they have to set poles with dynamite, and the utility maps flag those poles as R.I.P. for 'Replace In Place'.

Other areas have a high water table, making it impractical. There are other problems with underground power, as well. A mall in Middletown, ohio had snow get blown into vents in the transformer pads, melt and run down into the conduits. Over time, it all had to be replaced. That took weeks, instead of the few hours an overhead service would have required.

I worked for a large MSO, CATV company with a branch in Cincinnati, Ohio. If we needed go go more than 6" to 12" in most places, we needed to bring in heavy equipment and a dump truck to trench.

Those large industrial parks don't have lots of trees or other utilities in place when they are built, so underground utilities can be all installed at one time, at a reasonable cost.

A suburb of Orlando demanded underground electric service, so the utility sold them the distribution system for millions of dollars. Then they found out what the cost to convert it would be, and dropped the idea. No contractor would bid it the way they wanted, and told them they couldn't install the underground utility, until existing poles were removed. How many months would you be willing to go without power, to be rid of the poles?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 30 Oct 2011

00:48:42 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I saw a bunch of Madrona trees down after a storm back in 92-94. Furniture wood, The Best Charcoal for Gunpowder - and all I had was a Toyota Corolla!

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I do plan on continuing to livie where I have a little distance to my neighbors house. I do hate dealing with city living, but do have all the normal appliances except the plug in electric car. My previous location was on an island where the houses were originally summer homes and had been built along the shore. My house was one of the first that was not waterfront property. But was on five acres which is more land than the waterfront homes had.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

'cuz some of your glands retract up into your body when you have to break them loose after a few years in salt country?

Reply to
aemeijers

Acceptable, no. Expected, yes, if you live in an aerial service area. Phone is a 'nice to have', but very seldom goes down, since I still have a copper local loop to telco. Gas is buried and anything that takes IT out will likely mean get in the car and start driving, because house will not be standing. I don't have water or sewer out here (really need to get a generator), but in town, they are very reliable.

Reply to
aemeijers

Because each commercial customer likely has a monthly bill higher than all the houses on your block put together? And they are willing to pay the much higher install costs for five 9's reliability?

McMansion subdivisions built in last 20-30 years around here usually have buried service for 'last mile'. Those of us lower on food chain living in older dwellings, well, you take what you can get. But even if last mile is buried, you go far enough upstream (like to local fenced-in switching station), there is stuff exposed to weather damage. And sometime grid gets a brain fart and shuts off whole area, thinking it needs to protect itself.

Reply to
aemeijers

Been there, done that. Won't do that again.

I'm not one of those crazy right-wingers who believe that private industry can always do everything better than government can. But I believe that just about anyone can do anything better than FEMA, sadly.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Hurricane Iwa, listening to Mayor Frank Fasi on the radio telling everyone he was authorizing the police to shoot any FEMA employees found running off with city property, etc.

I do have to say it was interesting looking out the window and watching warehouses going by.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

that's an implementation c*ck-up, not any problem with the concept of buried utilities being more reliable.

really? to bury something, you have to dig? just as well sewerage, gas and water goes overhead in those areas!

pretzel logic.

Reply to
jim beam

lol!

Reply to
jim beam

but you understand the point that this is a publicly mandated monopoly don't you? if it wasn't for the public service element, they'd have to compete for the "lucrative" commercial business. prices would be bid down and their cost of finance bid up. so, being protected from competition, there is a price to pay to those who gave them the mandate

- but the public don't seem to understand that and don't insist the utility hold up their end of the bargain.

you can say that for the generator and all the big pylons too if you want.

the point is that wires hanging off a rickety wooden pole where it can fall onto a road/get overgrown with trees/scare aunty mabel in hurricanes, etc., is a retarded concept. particularly when you take the quid pro quo on the monopoly contract into account.

Reply to
jim beam

I have helped several folks who could NOT get the wheel off the hub, even a tire shop that was changing my tires. They were going to beat on my aluminum rims to try to get it off, but it wouldn't budge. I've found it best to leave the wheel on the car, loosen the lug nuts and rock the car side to side. It may well require quite a jostle or even jacking up the opposite side to increase the pressure. It has worked for me.

Reply to
DanG

I never have had any wheels rusted so badly they were hard to remove after removing the lug nuts. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

They might have a dust cap on them (should have ) to keep crap from getting into the bearings. Also, can use PB Blaster on the nut and spindle and let it sit for a while. You're going to clean them anyhow before repacking.

Also, spread anti-seize on the hub where the wheel slides on and sits before mounting. Just apply with a small brush all around the hub area where the weel makes contact. No more sticking.

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

What an idiot. How many power companies do you want in one town, each with its own infrastructure? How much of your property are you willing to give to the local government for public right of way? HTH will multiple, inefficient systems lower the operating costs? It doesn't even work for multiple CATV or phone companies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Really? Show us the studies that prove your claim. How are they supposed to know the exact air currents ahead of time? The only underground service in that area was what replaced the original overhead service, when the mall was built in a downtown area. Then other buildings were built, and some either torn down or modified, changing the airflow around the structures.

Those are under the road in most places, and built when the roads are built. Do you want more manholes in the streets for electricity? Do you ever reads something before you post your stupid shit?

You wouldn't know logic if you pulled your head out of its ass. There wasn't enough right of way to support multiple electrical distribution systems, but you're not man enough to admit that you're wrong.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Up here in Ontario one company owns the distribution system,ut you can buy power from numerous suppliers over that distribution syste, You pay the power company for the power, and the owner of the distribution system for distribution. - all on the same bill.

Reply to
clare