Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?
I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.
Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could play a key role in simplifying things.
You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.
For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent distance measurement).
Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).
For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.
Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.
The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a) the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to the required precision & repeatability.
IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like toe plates and camber jigs).
IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*
That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.
Hence, the question...
Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & calculations?
--
Note: Basic home alignment is restricted, by definition, to those things
that you typically ADJUST (without adding, for example, camber plates).

I presume you mean vehicle alignment?
Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this? Since you wrote that other app write one for this. You could write it just for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into account.
I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task. Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a dinosaur.
--
Tekkie

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:06 -0500, Tekkie? wrote:

Yeah. Vehicle suspension alignment (hence the cross post to r.a.t).
I realize, from the jokes thpough, which I admit are funny, that a "home alignment" isn't needed, except, maybe, in California after an earthquake.

There are six relatively common automotive tasks nobody does at home, one of which is vehicle alignment, so, for today, the answer is zero average homeowners..
However...
Things are changing, where the phone has so much power, that you do stuff with the phone that you couldn't do when we were younger.
One thing you can "do" with a phone is vehicle suspension alignment checks.

Actually, I've written 8 apps in the past few days... <
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?fileW14883androidstudio82.jpg
app01 === "hello world" app02 === "enter text, press button, shows up in next screen" app03 === adder of two numbers app04 === working port of the previous app (no small feat) app05 === opening of an outside activity (web browser) app06 === simple grocery list app07 === variable-seed random die cast app08 === Custom port of the simple grocery app to my grocery store
My first "real" app will be a ten-minute timer that is so easy to set that it takes only a single button press, which is to forestall me burning the house down because setting a multi-press timer is too onerous when I make coffee (I've ruined plenty of pots).
My second real app will be a camera app that you can use while working on the car, where, if you've never tried the existing camera apps in low light, under a car, holding the starter motor in one hand (which might as well be a cannon ball), and then focusing with the LED flashlight, and then snapping the shot with gloved hands, etc., without accidentally hitting the "selfie" button, and without having to worry about the settings reverting back to what they were because you took too much time setting it up.
After that, who knows ... what kind of app do you need for home-repair use?

I think you figured out my plan, which is, of course, to write the app (eventually); but I'm so far from being able to do that at this point that it's not a viable suggestion.
The question is only whether you know if the app already exists.

Sure, spreadsheets work on mobile devices, but spreadsheets are a far cry from an alignment app.
An alignment app walks you though the steps for your particular vehicle, e.g., for camber, it might start with... o CAMBER: Place phone edge alongside wheel & press button when degrees stabilize. o TOE Tape laser to front wheels & enter distance to wall
There are likely zero alignment apps to date, which means the market is wide open, but I first wanted to check.
On 17/11/18 1:10 pm, arlen michael holder wrote:

You will find that average will remain at zero because wheel alignments are not the simple tasks they once were since now it usually involves 4 wheels, not two. Get it wrong, you create a very dangerous car.

They make auto off electric jugs just for people like you. No need for a timer.

There is a reason there are zero alignment apps - because it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
--

Xeno

On 11/16/2018 02:36 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I'm getting a little deja vu about this poster...
On 17/11/18 2:03 pm, rbowman wrote:

You too, huh?
--

Xeno

On 11/16/2018 3:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:

That will teach you to sleep through Trigonometry 101
On 11/16/2018 3:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:

When my home was built, the builder aligned the foundation with the street. I never measured, but it does not appear to have changed in the 37 years I've been here. Never looked for an app to check it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think he is looking for an electronic app to align his penis with the target. Probably a blind man.
On 11/16/2018 2:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:

Here you are:
https://dexadine.com/WhatMOA.htm
To express minute of angle in inches you just need the distance from target. You may be going at alignment along the hardest possible route but not as complex as ballistics.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>