Fuel comparison charts

The same over here. Diesel fuel used to be cheap but now is more than petrol. And the cars cost more. The MPG is not that much different now except about town where diesels score better.

Reply to
harryagain

There isn't enough used cooking oil to make a dent in the amount of fuel burnt in diesel engines.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 28 Jun 2013

07:53:38 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Biodeisel - used cooking oil, only skipping the food portion.

pyotr filipivich

The cooking oil sounds good, except that I doubt that there is enough in an average town to power a tenth of a percent of the cars,

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Biodiesel, though, makes more sense than using ethanol. It is much easier to produce not requiring fermentation or distillation and glycerine biproduct is more useful.

In the far South where temperatures stay above freezing, used cooking oil can be used directly. I heard Willie Nelson uses it in his tour bus. Extra benefit is cooking smell of exhaust masks the smell of pot.

Reply to
Frank

Did not know if taxed differently but could be pure market forces. Higher prices in EC still might favor diesel. Guess it depends on how much you drive. Retired, myself, and not driving that much, I would not get a more expensive diesel or hybrid vehicle just to save money on fuel.

Reply to
Frank

That was my point. OTOH, you could render enough fat from the shiftless slobs to power at least one percent. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

True. "Bio-diesel" can be made form any oil or fat, even the stuff not edible.

So, if you smell fried chicken and lots of sage - it means there's a Willi Nelson concert nearby?

pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 28 Jun 2013

17:49:02 -0400 typed >> "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Hmm, there's a new "energy source".

pyotr filipivich

Soylent Green Diesel is people!

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

This new crap is even showing up on farm equipment and irrigation power units. It might make sense to limit emissions on city buses, but on farm equipment?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It MIGHT make sense to limit emissions on city buses?

Reply to
.

Depends on the trade offs.

The U.S. government keeps increasing the fuel mileage standards, for example. Vehicles are being made lighter as a result. How many more people are killed or injured because of that? Suppose we had vehicles sturdily built like the ones from the 50s 60s with modern safety features?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman
16 year-old Evie Sobczak from St. Petersburg, Florida has engineered a new method of turning algae into biofuel. She determined a novel and more efficient way to grow the organisms, extract oil, and use the product as biodiesel. Her method uses no chemicals, and creates 20 percent more oil than current technologies. Her efforts won her first place at Intel?s International Science and Engineering Fair.

(more)

Reply to
Richard

Cool! Another Marie Curie!!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"The Law Of unintended Results" It's what happens when Congress designs anything and imposes by law, impossible or insanely difficult to implement standards. The "Won't Flush Toilets" were one of plumbing fixtures designed by Congress. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What a fantastic kid, I hope she doesn't burn out at a young age and goes on to develop more brilliant solutions to problems facing the World. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No it's not - iz made from Lieberuls. They just look like Peoples.

pyotr filipivich

The vehicles built in the 50s and 60s were deathtraps compared to today's cars. You are much more likely to survive or have fewer injuries in a crash with a modern car compared to one from 50 years ago, all other things being equal.

I don't really care much for the IIHS or the nanny regulations our country has adopted, but you can't argue with performance.

Larry W

...which I've never needed. If you buy a new car every couple of years you have a point, but I don't. When I get rid of a car it's all used up.

Reply to
The Real Bev