Grand Marquis electrical diagram?

Anyone got one for a 1989? I have an intermittent problem where the turn signals, blower motor and rear window defroster stop working. (The RW defroster will light when the switch is activated, but doesn't seem to come on and won't stay on.) Can't find the common point of failure without the diagram...

Reply to
clifto

Check the ignition switch. A common problem with tht that vintage of Fords.

Chris

Reply to
golden oldie

I'm thinking the ignition switch would affect more than those few things, no? Things like the radio and power windows are switched on and off by the ignition switch, and those are working as expected right now.

Reply to
clifto

Ignition switch has more than one set of contacts in it. Often times one set controlling a group of things gets frazzled but the other ones still work fine. Try wiggling the key back and forth next time it happens to see if they come back on.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Having confirmed that it's the ignition switch, how hard is this to replace? (I'm good with electrical stuff and handle nearly all my own mechanical repairs.) I found a set of instructions that makes it sound too simple, so I'm suspicious there's a monkey wrench in there somewhere.

Reply to
clifto

Answering my own question for posterity:

The hardest part was finding out what kind of screws held the shroud parts together. After I removed the two shroud halves, two of the three pieces of the switch fell out (one still attached to the connector). The hardest part would have been the fact that no one mentioned the *security screws* that held the switch onto the steering column, except that I have at least two sets of security screws (but only one with the T27 that was needed!).

Reply to
clifto