How to keep sound on when backing up.

The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.
If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's ridiculous.
The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019 Honda.
This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once drove didn't do that.
If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car. Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't matter.
On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:

My car just reduces the sound, not turn it off. You probably have to program the computer to change it, not user options for it. Many cars now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.
In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:03:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

That would probably be okay.

I found the owners manual. It 's 600 pages!
It's a Honda Jazz, which is supposed to be the same a Fit.
Earlier, I tried to set the time, which was an hour off, an hour, 3 years and one month. I found "Time" but not how to set it. Then connected the phone with bluetooth and the time became correct. Later it was wrong again.

I'm glad I learned about this on a rental car. I will remember to play the radio while test-driving any car I buy in the future. I've only had the car for a week and it's really annoying.
Why not ban the radio when going forward too! People spend a lot more time going forward.
My 2000 Toyota solara convertible wouldn't let me put the top up or down when the car was going more than about 3 mph. But I found the wire from the body computer to the to the top relay and cut it. Same with 2005 Solara. I've had a power top that I could raise or lower when moving for 50 years. But in any car I could buy, I don't think muting the radio will be controlled by a wire I can cut.
According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone backs into a person.
On 5/14/2019 3:55 PM, micky wrote:

I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view out the back. I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and gives the back, of course, but also a surround view. Some cars to have crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who managed to do that.

Yeah, even when just backing an empty trailer that you can't actually see.

Surprisingly few have a completely integrated set of cameras that automatically show you the front and back corner of the car that is closest to something when parking etc.
And which operate as 360 degree dashcams when driving and 360 degree surveillance cameras when parked etc.

Rod Speed wrote:

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

Yeah spose so.
In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 21:45:48 -0700, Sanity Clause

That's a good point, and if there had been any small children around in the tens of 1000's of times I've backed up over the last decade, for example, it would apply to me. But there haven't been.

that's because when anyone sees you driving, be it children or adults, they get the hell away.

But its not feasible for the car to work out if you ever have any little kids around and even if it could, doesn't cover the situation where someone comes to visit with a little kid with them.
What would be a much better approach would be to allow the radio to back up over what you missed automatically like some TVs do. Still kill the audio when backing but continue on as if there had been no quiet period when not backing anymore.
In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 16 May 2019 04:28:06 +1000, "Rod Speed"

True, but I could set it myself.

True.

That would be good. Used to be, when shopping for a car or a lot of other things, beside looks, there were only 2 or 3 things to consider, but now the owners manual is 600 pages and different cars work differently.
Oh yeah, I'll start a new thread about one other thing.

That wouldn't stop you running over a visitors little kid, or when one is running around in the carpark after it has escaped from its minder etc.
We've just had one running around on the pitch during a full football match.

Yeah, I didn't even bother with a test drive when I got the Hyundai Getz new 13 years ago now and had no regrets with it.
Currently looking for a replacement, mainly to get a fancy advanced cruise control that is smart enough to get the speed limit from the database that always up to date and be able to read road signs for stuff like road repairs etc and can't even find one that will do that, even with the expensive end of european cars. Presumably the Tesla does that but an electric car is no use to me.

And plenty don't even have the manual available so you can read it before buying the car new and don't always spell out the detail, particularly on whether the fancy cruise control uses a speed limit database. I had to ask volvo if it does and it doesn't.

Yeah, while ever things get more fancy, there will be a range of ways of implementing that.

On 5/14/2019 4:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have one and also an Eye Sight system which apparently has front and rear emergency braking. Couple of weeks ago backing up in the Walmart parking lot a woman darted in back of my car and a beep went off and car appeared to slow down. It was disconcerting because my wife just happened to call me at the time and the cell phone Blue Toothed to the car also rang.
Using my separate GPS in the car for the first time, the radio stopped. I don't know how it knew that the GPS was there but I found that the radio had just turned itself way down and I probably could have used it with the GPS on.
Sometimes you can tinker with the cars options to get the behavior that you want.
On 5/14/19 3:55 PM, micky wrote:

Most people are too stupid to use a turn signal.  You expect them to use a back up camera?
micky wrote: "Earlier, I tried to set the time..."
The newer cars rely on your PHONE for basic settings like time, and even the music to be played in the car. Even permission to start the engine... !
Another reason why my next car will be a 2015 or older model.
On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30 seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?
I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.
In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the person says.

Don't be silly.
On 5/14/2019 3:44 PM, micky wrote:

LMAO! You're concerned about 20 second segment you "may" miss due to backing up a car which I'm sure isn't often and you call me silly. LMAO! That's funny.
In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 22:53:44 -0400, Meanie

What's silly is thinking that because I want to solve a small problem, I wouldn't want to solve (and be good at solving) big problems. It works the opposite way. People who let themselves be thumped by little problems also get thumped by big ones.

I know darn well that every time I had to go in reverse since I've had this car (7 days) I've missed what the speaker was saying. Five times a day at least, and when exploring back woods and desert roads with dead ends and move civilized places with parking spots more like 15 or 20 times a day. If I owned the car for 5 years, just using 5 times a day, that's 9000 times.
I guess when life gives you problems and inconveniences, you just let life push you around. I don't. I like to make my life better. But you can just suck it up if you want.

On 5/15/19 12:01 PM, micky wrote:

You won't miss much while backing up.
Most radio stations are 50% commercials, 45% blah-blah-blah-fake-laugh-blah-blah-blah-fake-laugh-etc and 5% music.