Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Right on both counts. Would be nice to use the wasted engine heat to warm buildings, after running the steam turbine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon

You should be careful, leaving yourself open with straight lines like that. I'm really tempted. Honest, I am!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The military has that option on some air planes. I know, I saw it in a movie once. Iron Eagle, was it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging. It works.

--Vic.

Reply to
Vic Smith

How about hanging up your key ring, or putting it in your pocket? Pain in the ass, ain't it? You don't have to plug your Volt in at work. If your work round trip is beyond the the Volt range, you have choices without plugging in at work.

  1. Don't buy a Volt.
  2. Let the IC engine kick in for part of the trip.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Actually, I could go for a baba and nappy right now. You ain't got nothing over me!

Reply to
dsi1

No, that was "Transformers V: Revenge of the Hand-Held Devices."

Reply to
dsi1

Lead us not into temptation...

Reply to
dsi1

ZDNet-

Induction charging is only efficient if the gap between the charger and the charged device is very small or the frequency is very high.

Reply to
clare

That would work. It would have to be reasonably cost effective though. The Volt payback is in decades compared to a similar gas powered car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But it can be done at 68 to 70 degrees indoors, not at 10 degrees and a 30 mph wind like re-fueling.

I'm taking option 1.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is cheaper to run as the IC engine is not very efficient. The initial cost though, makes it prohibitive. I had the cost some time back and the payback for me is something like 28 years. I forget the numbers so I'm not going to guess here.

From what I've read, the heat and AC is not very good either, as you'd expect. I want some comfort in my 25 mile commute.

If the initial cost can be competitive in a small car, it would be good for the city commuter, the trip to the supermarket type of trip. That day may come, but it is not here yet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Being 50 years older is one big reason. When I was 16 I could do a lot of things easer than I can at 66. I could even do some of them two or three times a day. :)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ZDNet-

What a total waste of resources.