Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Who are these people holding on to vastly out of date technology for the sake of not changing? How many rotary phones do you see being used?

1970s or earlier cars as daily drivers? The people who just refuse to change to superior technology because they just don't want to change are few and far between.

The discussion was regarding customers not manufacturers. Manufacturers don't have a choice in free market conditions. They either adapt or die. The premise, that I agree with, is that superior product doesn't need to be forced on any one. If electrics were or become superior then new companies would quickly displace old companies that refused to change given free market conditions.

Reply to
Brent

(yawn) it'll never fly Wilbur. (yawn) those cars will never catch on, there's no roads! (yawn) hydraulic brakes are the stupidest idea ever! People want cable! (yawn) front wheel drive? Over my dead body! (yawn) digital cameras? Strictly for amateurs. (yawn) so what else is new? (-:

Reply to
dsi1

Haha, one of those personal attack babies. ?

Reply to
dsi1

Let's not get sucked into this dopey topic and instead wait and see. The winner gets to say "I told you so!"

Reply to
dsi1

There's probably a little less than a couple of gallons left in the tank when it comes on but the light really bugs me. I commend how desire to please your wife.

Reply to
dsi1

No, simple observation. You've demonstrated that you're an idiot.

Reply to
krw

For her safety and your peace of mind, not to mention all the hustle and bustle, encourage your wife to obtain a concealed handgun license, unless you live in Illinois where you can't, or New Jersey, Hawaii, and a couple of other places where it's damn near impossible.

You'll save money in the long run.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well said. It's also silly to think that the manufacturers who are desperate to survive, would not be all over electric cars if they held an advantage or if they were even practical at this point. A car like the Volt is practical for most people only as a car to make short trips. I can see using it as a second car that a husband drives to the commuter parking lot each day. But of course the problem then is that it costs so much that we have to subsidize it with tax dollars, 40% of those dollars currently being borrowed. It takes a $12,000 subsidy to make a $40,000 volt feasible. When compared to other technologies we could widely deploy immediately, eg diesel, which gets high mileage, and can stand on it;s own, electrics suck. And we could beusing lots of diesel, like all of Europe, but for the refusal of the govt and environmentalists to tradeoff some of the emissions. And the fact that some of the biggest states have more restrictive emissions that make even the current limited availability ones illegal doesn't help either.

Reply to
trader4

In New Jersey, all the stations are full serve. It's illegal to pump your own gas.

But, this woman is clearly irrational. Any non-white person is a thug that's looking to rob, rape, or kill her, I'm sure.

Give her a gun, and she wouldn't pull the trigger. She ends up dead and another illegal gun ends up on the street. Proper training, my ass. No amount of training would turn her into a survival-instinct killer.

Worst case she DOES pull the trigger, it'll be on some poor innocent unsuspecting black man that's just trying to gas up his car on the adjacent pump.

I know these types, the "strong, independent, modern woman" who in reality is so f-d in the head that she's completely helpless and afraid of her own shadow.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I wonder how attended gas stations figures into the crime stats. Never thought of that before. Don't mind pumping my own gas - it's faster - but having the pump jockey squeegee the windows was always appreciated. Miss that free dishware too.

Gee, I was going to suggest she just keep a Molotov cocktail at hand. Seems more efficient with all that gas in the jugs at home. Now, on second thought...

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

e:

What are you? 12 years old? You talk like that to people you don't know? Your mom never taught you any manners? ?

Reply to
dsi1

I don't have any evidence that she's irrational. Maybe she's phobic. Maybe she just doesn't like the smell of gasoline on her clothes. Maybe she is afraid of being asked to sign a petition.

Whatever. Having a gun nearby may very well give her the confidence she needs to function in a complex society.

I carry a gun everywhere I go. I now go into biker bars and order a glass of milk, something I would never have done before.

Reply to
HeyBub

If having a gun encourages you to do things you wouldn't consider without a gun, you're asking for trouble. I see two possibilities.

1) you get shot with your own gun. 2) you end up in jail for shooting someone. It's your word against 20 bikers.

I went thru a "carrying" phase until I decided that it was a foolish.

IFF you MUST venture into unsafe areas, like your delivery job requires it, you might convince yourself it's worth the risk. IF you CHOOSE to go there, you're being foolish.

Reply to
mike

The USA is not a free market. This is why companies seek government to better their market position whatever it may be.

Reply to
Brent

I believe the auto manufacturers would toss the oil companies aside the first chance they got. It would just make life so much more simple for them and considerably more profitable.

Those looking for a conspiracy should probably concentrate on zero point energy rather than the automakers.

Reply to
Brent

Correct!

And the $64,000 question is:

If you invented a small, compact, 100% efficient battery that would power a car for 1000 miles, which oil company would be the highest bidder for the patent rights?

Reply to
Moe Gasser

No oil company could match the royalties you'd make by using the patent to produce the batteries. That's the big problem with most "conspiracy" theories. They fall apart when examined.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

What makes you think an oil company would buy it or the government would allow it to be patented?

The problem with a patent is that it is published for all to see. The US federal government can't invade every country where someone copies the patent and the local government doesn't shut it down.

This isn't free enterprise we are dealing with in the USA. It's a form of organized crime. The response would be along the lines of how organized crime deals with competition. There won't be any bidders. The inventor will either take a deal he can't refuse (if even offered) or have an "accident" at worst and considerable regulatory, civil, and criminal legal problems at best.

Reply to
Brent

There would never be a patent. Government issues patents. Who controls government?

Reply to
Brent

Bwahahahahhahahhahaaaaa!

ChungFongWang Battery company would copy your battery and you'd go broke trying to defend your patent.

Reply to
Betelgeuse