Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Wadya mean "stinkin' Romans"??... Romans didn't stink... they invented plumbing!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

ZDNet-

Beats the heck out of me if the idea would work.

Oh, that Dorthy P.!

Reply to
dsi1

You're certainly right about that. AKA "regenerative braking" which is essentially the same thing as laying miles of magnets under the roadway.

Reply to
dsi1

I did see that movie but I don't remember much about it. I'll have to check it out again. Thanks.

Reply to
dsi1

Same here but she _really_ appreciates it!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Good point! Let's just blame the Germans and be done with it. Don't even get me started with the Chinese and their side posting!

Reply to
dsi1

In case you hadn't noticed, the subject was transportation.

Reply to
krw

A quarter inch isn't nearly close enough. Any air gap will be inefficient. Why not just plug the thing in?

Reply to
krw

Nonsense. If there were advantages, no one would have to force anything on us.

Reply to
krw

You might want to rethink your logic. A lot of folks don't care whether or not there are any advantages. The only advantage they can see is the advantage of not having to change.

Reply to
dsi1

That's how a top down command and control system works, or really does not work.

A minority so vanishingly small as to not be a factor.

Reply to
Brent

Quite a change when the wife rolls over, exhausted, and goes to sleep.

Reply to
HeyBub

All the private residence complaints seem reasonable given those assumptions, except, perhaps, the hazmat leak complaint.

1) Fire Marshall (regulates containers larger than 60 gallons) 2) Zoning (prohibits structures closer than 6 feet to the property line) 3) Building (regulates structures greater than 120 square feet) 4) Hazmat (prohibits leakage but otherwise does not regulate gasoline) 5) CARB (regulates organic tanks larger than 260 gallons)

I've sufficiently thought it over and won't do anything more about it.

Here is the process if anyone wishes to follow in my footsteps:

  1. Starting with a full 55-gallon drum & full vehicles
  2. I fuel the two cars & other engines for about one to two months
  3. At some point, the fuel tank is low so I need a gas station trip
  4. I fill both the vehicle tank & I replenish the 5-gallon containers
  5. I siphon the fuel from the 5-gallon container into the 55-gallon drum
  6. And I go back to step 2 above.

Here are the costs comparisons: a) The cost for the equipment was about $500 b) The savings per drum vary greatly (let's average to $.10/gallon) c) That's only a savings of $5 per drum (ie cost can't be the key reason) d) However, the equipment does pay for itself over about 17 years

$5/2months = $30/year = $500/17 years

These cost comparisons are only rough estimates.

Sometimes I fill up more frequently & other times I can take advantage of price fluctuations, both of which lower the payback period. However, often, I am the victim of price fluctuations (like when I needed to refuel when gas was $4.35/gallon). What I often do in those cases is fill up 'just' the vehicle, until prices drop back to reasonable levels.

All in all, I can't justify this on savings alone.

The biggest benefit is my wife loves me for it.

In fact, she hasn't been to a gas station in years, and even I have started to enjoy the inherent convenience of filling up at home.

Reply to
worker bee

I don't get your point. How can a lot of folks be "vanishingly small?" My guess is most people in the automotive industry are scared to death of the electric car and the changes it will bring. No transmission, no radiator, an engine that's more like the one in your washing machine, no exhaust, no cams, no heads, no speed/power tuning, etc. We'll still need tires though. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Heck, I'd like it too if you filled up my tank for me. As it goes, I have to fill up the tank for my wife. She ain't gonna do it. I get in the car and that gas pump light is lit. I hate that! Hopefully, I'll drop dead soon and then she'll have to gas the damn car up herself. Then we'll see who gets the last laff. Well, technically I guess she will because I'll be dead but you know what I mean...

Reply to
dsi1

Won't happen real soon The operating and infrastructure costs of an "electric" car are so great that they can only be sold with major government subsidies Not to mention the fact that most electricity is not produced in a "carbon efficient" manner. Can you say COAL BURNING GENERATOR ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

So you're sleepy. Go take a nap now. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Yeah, that's why those computer thingies never caught on.

Reply to
krw

Yawning is not necessarily a sign of sleepiness It's also a sign of acute boredom with a subject that has been chewed over so many times that it's paste

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

I hear that's rough on the fuel pump.

My wife, like yours, hates going to the pump so badly, half the time she does full serve (if she can find it) or she goes to the well lit gas station on the busy corner right next to the highway.

Since I only fill up once every couple of months, I can afford to go to gasbuddy.com to pick which station is cheapest every two months.

I figure I easily save 10 cents a gallon over what she would pay, and sometimes more. However, savings alone aren't enough reason to do this as the equipment would take more than a decade to pay for itself at that rate, assuming it doesn't depreciate appreciably

In the end, if you're gonna gas up at home, you just have be satisfied in giving the wife the convenience of a perpetually full gas tank.

Reply to
worker bee