Is this a "no brainer"?

I have an 89 Cutlass Supreme 2.8L MPFI

I have been running slightly RICH for months now...not enough to cause black smoke, but enough to effect my 2-year old Cat. converter, emissions, gas mileage, and odour...

So, for the longest time I couldn't figure out WHAT the heck was causing this...but, I think I may have found out now.

For a couple weeks now, if my car sits for more than 8 hours, it's hard to start. It cranks fine, but it's got that "not gettin' gas" feel and sound to it...which to me, indicates I'm probably losing Fuel Pressure as the cars sits for a long time, right? Now, from what I've read, there's pretty much only one thing that can cause RICHNESS when running, and at the same time cause enough of a Fuel Pressure drop overnight to cause hard starting, and that is LEAKING FUEL INJECTOR...

Am I correct here folks?? Or should I look at something else? Also, when the term "leaking injector" is used, does that just mean it's STUCK OPEN, or does that mean it's literally cracked and leaking gasoline??

I am going to check my Fuel Pump Relay to make sure it's not becoming too slow to engage once it's been off for more than 8 hours...

Let me know guys!:)

THANKS!:)

PS I believe the only easy way to check the FP Regulator is by pulling off the vacuum hose that connects to it and seeing if there's fuel in it, well my vacuum hose is completely dry, so I don't know if that rules out the FP Regulator or not?

Reply to
good4u

Leaking usually refers to one that's partially or entirely stuck open.

As far the fuel pressure regulator, checking for fuel in the vacuum line will tell you if the diaphragm is broken, but you'd need a fuel pressure gauge to tell if the pressure is actually correct.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

A fuel pressure gage is also a good way to check for leaking injectors. For $35, you can get the gage. Hook it to the fuel manifold & run the car. After shutting it off, see how long it holds pressure. I'm told that it should be fine overnight, but I'm happy if it's still holding pressure after a couple hours.

If you had OBDII diagnostics, it will often tell you which cylinder the problem is with. Since you don't, the best bet is to pull out the injector manifold, pressurize, & see which one is leaking.

BTW, that "not gettin' gas" feeling is most likely a flooded feeling.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney