Isuzu Trooper a/c comp clutch weak

I have a 1988 Isuzu Trooper and the a/c compressor's clutch works normally for about a minute then it starts to weaken (it slows down) and it makes a streaking sound.

Is this the sign of a worn a/c cluch bearing or will I have to replace the whole compressor?

Reply to
MT

sure it's not the belt that is causing the noise?

Reply to
CEG

The terms can mess up a diagnosis here.

The compressor has a pulley w/bearing that is engine driven. That pulley and bearing spin any time the engine is running.

The clutch is the flat disc like object on the front of the compressor and is connected via a shaft to the "guts" of the compressor. When the a/c is on that clutch is moved in to the pulley and spins the internals of the compressor.

So when you say it works normally for a minute it makes a big difference to know whether it works for about a minute and then starts squalling regardless or it works for about a minute when you turn the a/c on then starts to make noise.

If it does it all the time regardless of the system being off or on then the bearing in the pulley is most likely going bad. These can be changed without changing the compressor if you can get to it. In practice it doesn't seem like anybody ever does that anymore.... they just replace the compressor.

If it only does it when the system is running then you have a few other possibilities: The clutch could be worn or misadjusted The compressor could have internal issues The low pressure side could be blocked The system could be overcharged (have you been adding refrigerant?) There could be to much oil in the system (have you been adding refrigerant with oil?)

A lot of shops will look at the system for free and let you know what's wrong with it. I would get a pro to diagnose it for you then decide whether to take on the repair yourself or have someone else do it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.