Kia door handles keep breaking!

I have had my Kia Rio(hatchback version) for a little over a year now, and I have had the door handles break 3 times so far. The driver's door handle broke twice, and the rear door on the driver's side broke once.

When the front door handle breaks, from the outside, what happens is that you can only open the door from the inside, not the outside. When the rear handle breaks, you can't open the door at all, from the inside or outside.

Is this happening to anyone else? Are these Kia door handles just totally defective?

The warranty covers this, so I don't have to pay for it, but each time it takes a week to get the new part because the dealerships don't carry them and they have to be ordered and then painted to match the car's color.

Reply to
myname

If they broke so frequently, I would think they would always be in stock. Unless they can't make them fast enough.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The problem with KIA and other "cheap" cars are they use "cheap" parts, especially made with "cheap" plastic. My suggestion is to keep the plastic parts sprayed with a UV resistant spray (your local Autozone should have it). AND if you live in the cold climate, FONT put full body weight to grab at it when the door is frozen.

I had to replace 2 handle on my Hyundai few years back. My 1969 Buick Lesabre still has original metal handles in great shape!

Reply to
Rajsircar