NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality? (2023 Update)

Some neighbors next door to me have an older model Saturn and an older model Chevrolet Lumina and an older model Jeep parked on the dirt in their back yard.Two of those vehicles, the Chevrolet and the Jeep have been sitting there for about a year, or more.Sooner or later, the city is going to haul those vehicles off to the impound yard.I think the Saturn car does run though.A year ago, their garbage can tipped over and spilled some garbage onto my yard, he blamed it on me! They are the reason about a year ago I had to build a fence along the side of my yard to keep them from driving and parking on my yard.They 'think' they own everything! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think this bad boy would look OK with a little sawzall treatment, whaddaya think?

Too bad Studebaker never saw fit to offer a K-body convertible...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I would like to find a good old Studebaker to fix up.I like the ones that had the venetian blinds in the rear window. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Let me know when you get serious, I can help. (seriously.)

start by checking out the SDC forums...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm looking for an A/C condenser on my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. AutoZone for $162 O'Reilly's for $172 Napa for $241 Which is my best bet?

Reply to
heinbaughbenjamin

Rockauto.com

Reply to
.

Who are the mfg's and where are they made?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

r $162 O'Reilly's for $172 Napa for $241 Which is my best bet?

Your best bet is to buy all three, compare them, keep the best one, and ret urn the others. You might want to also buy the condenser from the dealer an d also a $60 part from eBay. My guess is that they'll be pretty much the sa me. Please be the guinea pig and find out if this is really true.

Reply to
dsi1

Were I you, I'd opt for the DENSO 4770835 at Rock Auto for $75.89 plus shipping. Bought lots from them, only ever one issue which for which they made right and absorbed all costs.

Because you didn't provide sufficient particulars, I'm guessing a mite, just be sure to check the catalog for your exact application.

Reply to
.

Or get it from PartsGeek

From either, shipping is about $10.

Reply to
.

I just ant to say that it is very important. Would you buy cheap parts on ebay?

Reply to
gfcompanyco

Maybe. It depends on the part, part mfg, price, shipping cost, and rating of the seller.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote: "their back yard.Two of those vehicles, the Chevrolet and the Jeep have been sitting there for about a year, or more.Sooner or later, the city is going to haul those vehicles off to the impound yard.I think the"

And just WHERE is this - some communist country?? Vehicles sitting in their BACK yard might be towed off by the city?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yes, USA is now a communist country.

My employee's father has an RV in my parking lot (with current tags) after he was threatened with a tow from his own driveway as 'abandoned vehicle'.

Reply to
AMuzi

The problem is that really none of them tend to have consistently good quality. I try and work with locally-owned shops whenever possible.

I will say that the top tier parts from NAPA tend to be better than the top tier products from the other chains... but the lower tier ones are just as bad as the lower tier ones from the other chains.

And yes, I'd buy parts on ebay. Sometimes that's the only way to find some things for older cars.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The City gave us static about "too many vehicles" -- all of which were either currently registered or in official non-op status. That's why we sold the 55 Chevy for $500 and the 58 Chevy pickup for $100.

Before that I had vaguely thought that zoning regs were OK. Not any more. If it's intrusive or none, I pick none.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I've used Pep Boys for decades. Their 'lifetime' parts really are -- when I took a water pump (or something) from the used car we just bought to make sure I got the right replacement they said "That's one of ours" and gave me a new one. Even brake pads were lifetime.

I've never bought car parts from ebay, but I've never had any problems with any of the electronics I've bought. Some trivial things have disappeared in the mail or been bad at birth, and the companies made good on those. I'd worry about buying expensive stuff, but so far so good.

Reply to
The Real Bev

What is in my back yard now? I am Glad you asked. My old trailer that I enc losed a few years ago with pressure treated two by fours and pressure treat ed plywood and no nails, I hand twisted every one of those screws in there, my 1914 Ford Model T is inside my trailer. Near my trailer sits my 1948 Wi llys Jeep. Maybe I ought to build a shed around my Jeep.Other stuff in my b ack yard, my old metal trailer steps I use when I wash the top of my van in my driveway and my two wheels yard cart. And my sweet 13 years old Austral ian Blue Heeler Cattle Dog that died of cancer last September, I buried her self in my back yard. Rest in Peace, Blueberry doggy.

Reply to
JR

As a owner of two German autos,I use Ebay,or Ebay.de solely. They don't ha ve the high prices mark up as chain stores.I use TRW and Moog parts,as they are good,some German parts are high,and they also now outsource.My experin ce with Communist China parts is they last 30 days.

Reply to
nathan rector

This may be a little off-topic, but I went through something vaguely simila r when buying parts for a front brake job on a Mazda 2.

One afternoon I went to three local shops: Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and O'Re illy, in roughly that order.

Only two had the front rotors, and wanted about $50 each.

All three had pads, which varied from $50 to $60 a set (unless I misunderst ood, and that was for only *one* wheel).

None of those had as much markup as the mechanic: he wanted to use "premium " rotors at $88 each (ouch!) and a brake pad set priced at $83. I know mec hanics have overhead costs, but the labor cost is already sky-high, so this markup seems just silly. I don't think you have to pay "premium" prices t o get a decent set of rotors, do you? Further incentive to learn how to do the brakes myself.

Meanwhile, I found a front brake rotor & pads kit (including ceramic pads), at least claming to be original equipment quality rotors, on Rockauto.com for $88 and change.

It doesn't have quite the convenience of going into a retail store, but if you plan ahead, you can save a whole lot of money.

Reply to
Jc Maxwell