Nissan Primera won't start - suggestions please?

Hello,

I have a 1997 5-speed manual (shift) transmission Nissan Primers (UK). It won't start (even with the use of a mains powered boost starter).

Symptoms:-

Dashboard lights will come on but the engine won't turn. I considered a faulty stater motor BUT the electronics also seem to go crazy at this point. The speedo and tacho needles will jump slightly, pressing the hazard lights button seems to do odd things and occasionally a low-pitched continuous beep/whistle sounds. There can also be like the ticking of a clock from the dashboard area.

Grateful for any suggestions as to the true nature of the problem.

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
No-one

this has happened to me a couple of times and ive seen it more than once on other cars it could be a lot of things but heres what you should do if you have a bad battery or bad ground even with a booster pack it may not turn over but the lights may come on heres the run down of what i do first have the battery checked if its okcheck your ground for corrosion then goto the alternator if the battery is good and the alt charges then pull the starter and check it .if everything is good then check your ignition switch.everytime ive seen this it has been something different but one of the above hope this helps

Reply to
Steve Cook

Reply to
Rich M

Solved. Many thanks for all the help. I took the battery out, cleaned the terminals with an own-brand supermarket coke, dipped the connectors in a glass of the same and cleaned them. Put the battery back in, connected it all up, turned the ignition key and it started first time. Many thanks.

Regards,

Frank.

Reply to
No-one