Pressed -in wristpin problem

An old friend who has a machine shop, as a favor to me, installed my new pistons on their connecting rods . Problem is the pins are not centered in the rods and I need to press them a bit to center them. I need to know how much to heat the assemblies before attempting to move the wristpins . TIA Clint

Reply to
PAROADHOG

DO NOT HEAT THEM! They are cold-pressed into the rods but you need to use a proper jig/fixture to avoid cracking the pistons when you press them further! HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi

Many rods are not supposed to be centered, especially if it is a V6 or V8. Each road/piston has a mate sharing a journal on the crank. Some offset is often required, beyond the natural offset from cylinder orientation. Find out before you change anything Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

"PAROADHOG" wrote

What distance are you talking about when you say "the pins are not centered"? They do not have to be perfectly centered if they are a press fit in the rod and float in the piston. If your buddy has a machine shop....I'm sure that probably installed your pistons the same way that he installs all his pistons and he's comfortable with them not being perfectly centered.

I press a lot of pistons on and off rods these days....and even from the factory, they aren't always exactly centered. Since the piston pin floats in the piston....the rod will find it's center position....and the pins have lots of real estate within the piston.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"sdlomi" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

They dont need to be centered. leave them alone. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff