Question for Qslim, MDT, etc, 2005 Scion tC

My tC is a pretty decent car, on par with my Corolla GTS and maybe even the Supra.

However, the gearing is horrible! I think they geared it high to give the impression of being 'peppier' than it is. I have to admit, it worked, since acceleration is snappy in any gear!

However, 3200 RPM at 70 MPH seems a bit excessive. I think the one area they goofed was that they really need a six-speed.

This car (as the Toyota techs know) has a Camry 2.4L VVTi engine. Can this be mated with a Celica 6-speed tranny? It is one of the few things I don't like about the car; actually, the only other one is that the driver's seating position is horrible. My only two complaints with the car. Fix these, and it's GREAT!

The ONE THING that can be said about VWs...the bell housingas are all the same, and the mount poinys are all the same, so you can mix and match pieces to suit your whims...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

My '84 GTI was geared even deeper than that... made MANY runs from Pittsburgh to Cleveland and back with the engine never dropping under

3500-4000 RPM. Car just shrugged and said "thank you Sir, may I have another?" Great car, great engine (1.8l 8V 4-banger, non-interference, torque like a scaled-down American V-8.) Didn't even burn any appreciable amount of oil.

Only reason I got rid of it was I found a Scirocco with a less-rusted body. That was a great car too, although I when the tranny died, I dropped one in from an early Jetta which gave it some more legs, but took a little away off the line.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Unfortunately, my experience with VW was horrible! '85 Jetta, brand new. Kept it for the duration of the 2-year warranty and then traded for a Toyota. Shame...the VW was one hell of a car! You really can't beat German engineering, but you sure as hell can beat their assembly and workmanship!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Is that the supercharged version?

The 07 camry (5spd) with the same engine is a little over 2500 @

70mph, but then you have cruise control downshift which sometimes engine rpm would would fly up to 4500. Like that?

If that Celica tranny will work for you then order one for me too! =) or do I just order a new ECM or TCM software that more performance oriented rather than mpg? I thought the driver seat was positioned low to have that racing feel or that is not what you hate about it?

Reply to
EdV

I couldn't even imagine it! It gets the same transmission as mine. Must have to buy new front tires every month!

Is that 5-speed manual or AT?

Driver's seat isn't low enough nor far back enough. I get a cramp in my as...er, haunch...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Its an A/T

Why dont you get one of em Beaded Seat. ; )

Reply to
EdV

Definatley revving too high. My Escort would be below 3000RPM at those speeds.

Reply to
scott21230

Correction!!! @ 80 mph 2500 rpm @ 70 mph 2200 rpm.

5spd A/T 2007 Camry 4cyl.