HOLY CR@P!!!!!! Is this thing FAST!!!!!!

My friends are all making wagers as to when I get my first ticket, and how long it takes me to forget about the Supra...

OK, it's FAST, and it's certainly cool! and it's the first 'new' car I bought for MYSELF in 20 years, but on sunny days I think the Supra still wins!

2005 Scion tC, 11,000 miles, still smells new (NO SMOKING!!!) 2.4l DOHC, VViT, 5 Speed (it NEEDS a 6...) 17" alloys with Bridgestone Potenzas (I can't WAIT until THEY need replacing!) and the dual sunroof with an MP3 player...all the things I would have gotten had I ordered a new one, except it doesn't have a wing...

Wow! It's ALMOST as much fun as the Hachiroku was when I bought it..the big difference is the Scion feels like you're sitting ON it, while the GT-S, the Celica and the Supra feel like you're sitting IN them (which I like better...a feeling of 'oneness' with the car...)

Um, did I mention it's freakin' FAST!!!!!????

I can't even imagine the bolt-on Turbo!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yes, VViT Toyota engines are FAST! Try a Sienna, that is one fast minivan!

Reply to
RG

Hey, my 93 Corolla will pass 100 and it's got 226,000 miles on it and a lot of wear. Supposedly it has 115 hp, and weighs about 2600 lbs. It's not as young as it was, though.

Charles of Schaumburg

Charles of

Reply to
n5hsr

They are fast cars aren't they. Would you like to race a stock '03 MR2?

Reply to
Viperkiller

I would....me me me .... :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Um, is that also with the stock Supercharger? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I ramaped my Celica GT-S with 240,000 on it to 110 racing some wise@ss that cut me off one day.

Poor bast@rd didn't think an older guy in an older car would have such cajones! I could tell by the look on his face.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

What's the official 0-60 time?

Reply to
dizzy

what the f*ck is going on here?

Reply to
MartinGouda

I dunno, but it seems as quick or quicker than my "Hachiroku".

Here's what I dug up from SportCompact magazine:

With our test monkey behind the wheel, the tC managed to eke out a

15.7-second quarter mile at 88.2 mph at the track, just as we originally predicted. Remember, the car also weighs close to 3,000 pounds. Thanks to a relatively generous torque curve, 0-to-30 mph was achieved in just under 3 seconds. At higher velocities the 2AZ-FE begins to pant a little, taking more than twice as long to go from 60 to 100 as it does to go from 0 to 60, which it manages in 7.8 seconds.
Reply to
Hachiroku

This is a Toyota group, and Scion tCs are made by Toyota.

What the f*ck did you *think* was going on here?

Reply to
Hachiroku

About the same as my old CRX Si.

Reply to
dizzy

On the way to the wrecker's yard, my dad's old Corolla still got up to 65, with only 3 cylinders working. About a year before that a couple of kids in a lead sled Chevy were laughing at her, and I smoked them off the line at the light. They weren't laugihing so hard the next time I saw them. . . .

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

Yeah, those were pretty quick cars, too.

Did you see my other post? According to the web site I found, the Scion is .1 sec faster to 60 than my NA '88 Supra. That is not really surprising. Although the Supra has 35 more HP, because it is the "Sport Roof" model it weighs about a half ton more!

Also, I don't believe the 0-60 time they listed for an '85 Corolla GT-S. That car had 112 or 120HP, and weighed 2300 lbs. That's 40 HP less, but about 1/2 ton less, too! On that car, you could FEEL it when the 'secondaries' opened (the TViS butterfly). It was almost like a 2-stroke the way the power came on.

They must have had some Wuss behind the wheel! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

When Consumer Reports tested a tC, their 0-60 was 8.8 sec. Their 1/4 mile time was 16.7 sec. Their 1/4 mile trap speed was 85 mph.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

But SportCompact magazine tested a preproduction version with non-standard intake and exhaust systems that the magazine article claimed added 10 HP. When Consumer Reports tested a tC, their 0-60 was 8.8 sec. Their 1/4 mile time was 16.7 sec. Their 1/4 mile trap speed was 85 mph.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I was looking your cars spec's. It's rather interesting, I think, that many specs are 50% more - 50% more engine displacement, 50% more HP, and 50% more weight. I'd suspect it would drive similarly, but with more solidity and refinement*, but would sacrifice some of the tossable handling.

*My '88 CRX Si had manual windows, locks, mirrors, and seats, and also did not have the optional AC. 5-speed manual, of course. 16-valves and multi-point injection (still sort of "exotic" in '88). 14-inch alloy wheels, speed-sensitive steering, sunroof, front & rear anti-sway bars, *great* sport seats... It was my first new car, and I'll never forget her...
Reply to
dizzy

What size engine? 1.6L?

My Hachiroku was the first real Get Up And Go car I had. I had a Nova "SS", but the SS was really just the stickers. It was a 350 shoved into a plain Nova, painted orange with black stripes. Same old TH350 in any other Chevy with an AT.

But the Corolla GT-S...mmmmm. The Nova would have smoked it in the straights, but in the corners...uh-uh! In a lot of ways the Scion reminds me of the GT-S, except you sit up higher in the car, not on the floor like the Corolla, and it bogs a little where the Corolla said, "More? SURE!!!" And it ALMOST flicks as well.

Of course, I've had it for 5 days, and haven't gotten used to it yet...we'll see! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku