New CV Joints Install Question

Hi! I ordered new cv joints. Should I rinse them with mineral spirits or something and let them dry to remove any possible machine work fibers before installing them? Thanks! Joe P 73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Now you got me thinking - trying to remember, actually! It seems to me that the CV joints come all sealed up similar to if you were to go to a bearing supply house and buy a new ball bearing. My inclination is that anything you do to "clean" it is probably going to get more pollutants in there than it gets out. Generally speaking, it is a bearing assembly and needs to be opened in a clean environment, packed with the proper lubricant in all the little nooks and crannies (where the moving parts are - NOT filling the dust boot up with grease as some will suggest - all that does is destroy the boots really fast and ultimately crud gets into the bearings then and destroys them!) I say no on the cleaning. May others join in if my head's in the sand! -BH

let them dry

installing them?

Reply to
Busahaulic