Random Engine Light

I have a 98 Jetta GL. Some times the Engine Light comes on, seemingly at random, since nothing is noticably wrong. Then the speedometer randomly comes on and off too. Usually these 2 things happen around each other, but in linking pattern. Also, my keyless entry stopped working. I tried to reprogram it, but it wouldnt. So for a few weeks it would just beep randomly when I was driving. Now it wont work at all! I have replaced the battery on my remote aswell. LoL sounds like alot eh? But the car runs fine, so I didnt want to take it to the dealership for no reason.

Could this be a ECU problem, or/and a Remote/keyless entry problem? Maybe just replace them? Also I recently found out there is a speedometer chip, would that need to be replaced already? Its only 80k miles!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Reply to
Gill2003

I doubt you have an ECU problem. Both the speedometer and the ECU relies on a signal from the vehicle speed sensor (typically located on the transmission). If the speed sensor should fail, the speedometer will stop working and the ECU will turn on the Check Engine light. So, if you can fix the intermittent speedometer, the check engine light will probably be taken care of as well.

I would venture that the keyless entry problem is independent of the speedometer issue. The keyless entry system is always powered, the speed sensor / speedometer is powered only with the key turned to on. There could be an intermittent ground common to the keyless entry and the speedometer, but then you more than likely would see other instrument act up as well.

Reply to
Randolph

That sounds like the speed sensor is going out or has a poor connection. That could account for both problems, one is just reporting the other. BTW if you have the error codes read from your car's computer, it should tell you exactly why that engine light is coming on. Some places are known to read these codes for free. Try Autozone if you have one around.

There are a number of different procedures to re-program this depending on the car and year of production. Hopefully you have one that someone knows and will post the information you need. Hopefully it will not require a trip to the dealer. I suspect the key issue is separate from the engine issue.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Alright, So its probaly cheaper to just try to change the Speedometer chip, or sensor?

Reply to
Gill2003