Re: Highly Reflective Tape

I wanted to get black and yellow striped tape for the back of my CRV.

The stuff on trucks, known as "conspicuity tape," comes in various special purpose colors, but the kind you usually see has alternating red and silver blocks, or (at some positions) just silver. It typically comes in long rolls or packaged strips about a foot long, in a two inch width. Department of Transportation puts minimum requirements on where it has to be deployed on what sorts of commercial trucks. You can pick it up at truck stops or some hardware stores, as well as safety-product houses.

From what I've read, a study indicated that it has made about a 15% decrease in rear and side collisions with big trucks. I've also put it in discreet places around my cars, like the jamb side of doors and the underside of the trunk lid.

The precise thing you want is called "hazard stripe tape" and is harder to find but available. Here is one source:

try whatever industrial safety houses you like. Note that even the ubiquitously available consumer grade reflector tape, never mind this industrial stuff, is meant to stick hard and stay stuck, so this is a job to think through, walk through without removing the backing, and then do right the first time.

Best of luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

This might be crazy or too much, but is there more stylish solutions?

Example body paint? Example, a stylish color paint that goes over the just the bumpers, that are reflective at night? Maybe a paint that is on the car that makes it glow at night? :)

I just know putting that tape on plastic parts will cause it dry, crack and peal off and just leave dirty adhesive residue behind.

thanks,

tom

************************ Our Sites *************************************
- Auto Classifieds.
- Post Free Text House Ads.
- Adults Only! Free Galleries.
Reply to
junkmail01

Do a search for '3M.' They will sell you whatever you want.

mike hunt

Reply to
MikeHunt