Reassurance needed.

So you are probably going to make fun of me for being stupid but I just want some reassurance... I just bought 4 New Avon Tech m550 a/s tires for my grand am... and it rides a bit more rough, so I have them running at about 28.5psi cold... does this seem okay? the car seems to ride rougher than most which makes me worry.. i know cars are made to take bumps but some are bad enough to make the CD player skip... which is how i sort of measure how rough the bumps are.... everything seems tight in the car (2000). am i worrying over nothing?

Reply to
waterboy44

Well>>>>>>>>>>>

1] The tires are underinflated at 28 psi, you are wearing them out prematurely at that pressure, and I presume they have the correct pressure notated on the tires. Use the notated pressure.

2] New tread on older car. Nutshell, your tread hasn't worn in to the vagaries of your steering, eg., slightly out-of line, struts fatiguing, etc.

3] New tread makes noise, see 2] above.

Nada to worry about, but get correct pressure in those tires. Also, did you switch to a/s from a more highway tread? That will show up in ride and feel.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

How a particular tires rides, handles, and performs can vary greatly from one vehicle to the next. It can be a challenge to find the correct setup. I haven't used that particular tire, but I took the time to do a little research for you. According to the reviews I've read, the Avon Tech M550 is a good tire overall and has a fairly high average rating.

Here is a link to a number of reviews from users of that tire. The general consensus seems to be that they are a pretty stiff riding tire but usually do get better once you put some miles on them.

hope this helps.

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks for the replies.... actually the reccommended tire pressure is not on the tires, it says follow manufacturer specs. The sticker on the inside of the door says 30 psi, is that cold or hot? Yeah the Avon's are great tires, handle great and all... I did my homework before I purchased them. Hopefully they will soften up a little after some more miles.

Reply to
waterboy44

That would be 30 cold. Some brands of tire are just plain rough. That can be a compromise for comfort or handling.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

You 'have' to be kidding right?

The pressure on the side of the tire is for the maximum allowed pressure for the maximum load, not for a passenger car.

The car has a sticker on the glove box or door frame that says the pressure needed.

My tires on my 1/4 ton Jeep are inflated to 28 PSI for the full contact patch. These tires can fit on a 1 ton truck and then they can be inflated to 50 PSI.

If I inflate them to the 50 PSI maximum, I would have less than 2" strip of tread touching the ground which is extremely dangerous. Just imagine a vehicle driving on bicycle tires....

Mike

Mike Romain