Subaru Tranny again...

The basic old fashioned bar types sell in the $20.00 range....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

It has to be small. Unfortunately, the picture in the link looks like there's plenty of room..

Pictures can be deceiving...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

This is worse than a harsh shift. It slams from 1-2.

The repair manual suggested the band adjustment, and it seems to have worked...for the most part.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

What is your story HLS same as JoeSpareBedroom same as snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts?

Why do you need to change names to put someone down? If it bothers you so much, do not read the newsgroup.

Are u a mechanic without work?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Reply to
AS

He's not me, I'm me. Are you you?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

While you're checking things out, check the throttle cable adjustment.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't think even he knows what/who he is. Very confusing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I didnt change names nor did I particularly put this guy down. You apparently got your panties in a knot for something somebody else posted.

Reply to
HLS

He couldnt even keep the posters straight, Hachiroku.

Reply to
HLS

The basic old fashioned bar types sell in the $20.00 range....

There is a very small one, quarter inch drive, bar type that has commonly been used to adjust auto trannies where space is limited. It is not very expensive, but, again, you may be able to borrow it from an Autozone or similar. Some of those read in inch pounds rather than footpounds, but assuming it has adequate range, you can make the conversion mathematically.

Indeed, pictures can be deceiving, and so can procedures in some of the manuals that are available.

Reply to
HLS

Question for you... my '99 Outback sometmes slams fairly hard from 1 to 2, when cold and under no load. It's fine warm, and it's fine when I push the accel hard. Or, I just idle the cold starts at about 1200 rpm and it shifts right through.

Also, when coming to a stop, if I don't *completely* stop, when I accel the car seems to slip into 2 kinda wierd. I can't describe it well.

Does that sound like what you had that prompted you to tighten the band??

Ray O, I'm curious about your opinion, too.

-John O

Reply to
John O

216 in-lbs...

This was the Suby factory manual.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That's exactly it!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That seemed OK.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Woah, that's good. :-) How can I get a copy of that page or section of the manual? I'd like to take it to my favorite tranny guy and have them do the work...this problem has been making me crazy for a long time.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I got it from Autozone. I looked to see if they covered '99 model year, but it stops at '96, and it's the same page...

go to Autozone.com and click the menu item "Repair Info".

I have a '97 Legacy L wagon, but it's buried in the snow right now or I'd have a look...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

HEY! It's hard to tell the players without a scorecard! Esp if you can't read headers.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I'd have to drive it before making any more guesses. Based on what John O posted, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a "normal" characteristic of the transmission, or if there is a good fix, then the dealer should know.

Reply to
Ray O

I've discussed these symptoms several times here, and this is the first time I've heard someone else having the issue. I suspect my car wasn't driven easy in its young life. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

er...mine's 19 years old!!!