The old Shifter stuck in PARK Problem

My 1997 Chevy Blazer is stuck in park. I know about the shifter interlock - but I questioned if it was that because my brake lights work and when I push the lever on the shifter I hear a clicking under the dash? Can the lights work and switch be half bad. Can something in the shifter itself be bad? I guess I'll replace it tonight if I know how to ask for the part? Any other problems it could be? Or is this probably it. It is on level ground and seems to rock back and an forth freely an inch or so.

Thanks for any help. Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

If it rocks back and forth and inch or so but doesn't when the brakes aren't applied then it could mean the transmission or console.

Don't know about Blazers but, remove the console and have a look inside before asking for parts. You should be able to figure it out.

Dejavu, I remember answering this question before.

Reply to
Indian Summer