Trivia questions - just for fun.

Just fired up my "new" Stude engine last weekend, I bought a new 650CFM "thunder series" carb, I have to say that even though the carb is theoretically too big for the engine (would have cost me another couple hundred bucks to get a 500 CFM) the throttle response is very very nice indeed, and I haven't even done a lick of tuning on it - in fact I don't even have a strip kit for it yet, unless you count a vintage one for an AFB (but I think I will go ahead and buy an Edelbrock one so at least the numbers make sense when looking at the manual.) All I did was to set the idle and decrease the pump shot a little, and it pulls like a freight train. (of course I swapped a tired engine for a good engine that had an extra 25 horses or so to begin with, stuck in a

4-speed at the same time, and changed from a 3.31:1 to 3.73:1 rear, so I guess it probably would have felt much nicer anyway even with the same carb I was using before...)

I dunno why you're down on the AFB though, it's the same exact carb except for the secondaries...

nate

Reply to
N8N

The corvair monza had 4 carbs I think.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

See answers above. The monza had two on the standard 110 hp engine. The Corsa had four on the standard 140 hp engine. I believe the monza could have been ordered with the 140 hp as well as an option.

Reply to
Lhead

I wouldn't say I'm "down" on it. Its great on a big engine that moves a lot of air, but it doesn't adapt as well to smaller engines, or transition onto secondaries as smoothly as the AVS even on big engines.

Reply to
Steve

It was factory equipment on the Stude 289 and worked fairly well; not sure what you're calling a smaller engine...

The AVS does seem to transition better out of the box, but I have spent no time tuning on it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Truly an interesting discussion - I like how smoe folks got onto their own discussion of a specific carburetor and its failings or highlights...

Factory means (to me) that it is something you and I can go and order or buy off the showroom floor. If it's a racecar only option, then it wouldn't be factory.

Good questions LHead!!!

Lhead wrote:

Reply to
1967.ranchero.restoration

Pontiac offered TriPower as early as 1957, and Oldsmobile offered it under the J-2 name the same year. Chevy offered it in 1958 as an option on the

Reply to
ROY BRAGG