Why do cars with automatic transmissions have tachometers?

In article , Dave C. wrote: (snip)

Interesting. My car's redline is 7000rpm, and they quote the horsepower at 6000rpm. So, the redline suggests a target of

2800-3150rpm, and the horsepower a target of 3600rpm. Sounds like I should be cruising in a lower gear than I have been.

(snip)

Mmmm, thanks. I may give that a try, and I'll also look into what the equivalent stats are for my wife's car!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

In article , Chuck Tomlinson wrote: (snip)

Ah, thanks - I'll check the archives on Google.

Mmmm - I remember my high school math teacher once made the same mistake in a problem the class worked on!

(snip)

Also, John mentions engine wear, another worrying issue.

That is simple. (-: It also matches what I'm used to others doing. Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

In at least some cars and some scan tools (that plug into the OBD port), you can get fuel consumption readings at various speeds and gears. You can record them and then calculate which speeds and gears give the best fuel economy.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee