Why the disappearing cores?

Yesterday I bought some brake shoes for my vehicle and I again noticed something that surprised me about six months ago. The auto parts store crossed out the sticker on the box that was used to turn the old cores in for refund. I first saw this on a rebuilt starter that I purchased a few months ago. There is no core needed to turn in. Although a few reasons jump right out at me, such as the fuel needed to return the cores back to the rebuilders and the liability of transporting asbestos shoes back to the factory from the drivers' health point of view, why are the cores being discontinued? I know it doesn't take much energy or materials to make the steel in a brake shoe, but a starter can be a little more complex and costly. Any reasons out there?

I work on industrial equipment more than cars or trucks and I know some of the rebuilt equipment for this equipment will have cores for some time. However, it looks like the cores needed for autos and trucks are going by the wayside. Any comments out there?

Reply to
Kruse

A few reasons come to mind. There is a glut of cores at the rebuild plant, the cores are obsolete and are being discontinued at a particular plant, maybe the component is a bad/good design but not economically repairable, the hazmat concerns you just raised, core values have dropped and are not economical to ship, etc. An offshore aftermarket plant is making them cheaper than a rebuild. The list can go on.

Reply to
pete selby

Would there be any asbestos out there anymore? Perhaps a very old replacement situation.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

I noticed that too and the thought that they are setting us up for no more 'rebuilt' or 'remanufactured' parts to be offered came to my mind.

Then you have to pay for 'new' parts.

Bet it is a plain money grab.

Mike

Kruse wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

|Yesterday I bought some brake shoes for my vehicle and I again |noticed something that surprised me about six months ago. |The auto parts store crossed out the sticker on the box that |was used to turn the old cores in for refund. I first saw this |on a rebuilt starter that I purchased a few months ago. There |is no core needed to turn in. Although a few reasons jump right |out at me, such as the fuel needed to return the cores back to |the rebuilders and the liability of transporting asbestos shoes |back to the factory from the drivers' health point of view, |why are the cores being discontinued? I know it doesn't take much |energy or materials to make the steel in a brake shoe, but a starter |can be a little more complex and costly. Any reasons out there? | |I work on industrial equipment more than cars or trucks and I know |some of the rebuilt equipment for this equipment will have cores |for some time. However, it looks like the cores needed for autos |and trucks are going by the wayside. Any comments out there?

Speaking as a distributor:

Expense of transporting cores. Some have a whole fleet of trucks solely for core returns. Then there are the issues with the various DOTs regarding documentation of content. Asbestos is almost a non-issue today, but there are just a few out there still and that small percentage makes any core cargo "hazardous waste". Cores returned that are not rebuildable are charged back to customer, causing conflict. Cores rise and fall in value due to supply/demand, but that variance cannot be passed back tot he customer (us) and their customers (Stores). Core ID and sepparation at the plant requires a lot of time and a very skilled person who can recognize hundreds of parts with minor differences, at a glance. Core suppliers have arisen that are very good at providing clean cores to order, on time. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B